Author Topic: Magic Pie Edge  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Magic Pie Edge
« on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
wondering if the edge has the same bottom end  torque as Magic Pie, looks like its 3 poles smaller ,but from the pics the poles look wider, 10 amp controller,wonder if you could stuff a Magic Pie controller in it. just throwing it out there

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie Edge
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »
The Magic Pie Edge has less torque than the larger diameter Magic Pie, but more torque than the smaller diameter Smart Pie.

Gary's photo clearly demonstrates the difference between the diameters of the two motors:

Here's a picture of a Magic Pie I and Smart Pie in a 26" rim for size comparison:

(Magic Pie on the left and Smart Pie on the right.)

The Magic Pie Edge only has 46 poles, so it actually has 10 poles less than the larger Magic Pie:
  • The Magic Pie Edge has 46 Poles (magnets) and 48 slots (coils)
  • The Magic Pie (I, II, III, 4 and 5) has 56 Poles (magnets) and 63 slots (coils)
  • The Smart Pie has 40 Poles (magnets) and 36 slots (coils)
The Sine wave controllers fitted to the Magic Pie and Smart Pies look identical but they are not interchangeable because they are specifically matched to the stator windings, so I presume the Magic Pie Edge controller will have been specifically matched too, in which case the controllers are unlikely to be interchangeable.

The stator on the Magic Pie Edge is almost 25% wider as it is ~24.5mm thick whereas the Magic Pie is ~20mm thick.

Alan

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:56:56 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Magic Pie Edge
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 03:17:43 AM »
sorry I was counting the coils , so wider would mean more torque all thing being equal