Author Topic: Wheelchair Controller and Hub motor compatibility  (Read 8381 times)

fillionr

Wheelchair Controller and Hub motor compatibility
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
Hello,
Would any brushless 24V hub motor be compatibly with a 24V brushless joystick wheelchair controller, or would the motor have to be made specially for a wheelchair application?

Offline aawaterloo

• Confirmed
Re: Wheelchair Controller and Hub motor compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:49:05 AM »
here are my two cents.

You need to find out what kind of 24 V motor you have.  If you know the brand name of the wheelchair you can try calling their technical service or consulting their manual.  Otherwise, you may have to get access the motor and try to get the make, model etc.  If there are no markings on the motor, you will have to find out if it is a brushed DC motor or a brushless DC motor by looking at the wires going into the motor from the controller.  If there are just two wire, it is a brushed DC motor.  if there are more than two wire (high voltage), it is brushless.  you may also have hall sensors in the motor.  If that is the case you will have at least three or more  low voltage wires going into the motor.

once you have identified the motor type, perhaps you can get more help from this board.
just curious ...why do you want to replace the motor?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
Would any brushless 24V hub motor be compatibly with a 24V brushless joystick wheelchair controller

Basically yes.... Providing its not sensorless any brushless hub motor would work!

I like the micrsoswitch detection feature you could use as an overall kill switch as opposed to a throttle switch

Cheers

fillionr

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
The hub motors and wheelchair controller are both from Goldenmotor.com, the hub motor, however, is not the specified wheelchair motor. I was wondering though if they might still be compatible.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:50:11 AM »

I think it should still work OK, but you may find it produces much less torque and has a lot more speed than a wheelchair specific geared hubmotor.

Another drawback will be that it won't have an electrically operated brake release mechanism to stop you rolling downhill when the power is turned off.

Alan

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »
Hi all maybe just an idea OK before you go down that route !
Wheelchairs ! motorised !
just think of this type of adaption  sorry lost the link youtube 40 Kph and reverse ! Thats Mobility !

Wheelchairs are allowed in shopping malls mobility vechs are not ! (i have one )

If you need to use a wheelchair THINK MONEY BUGET PERFORMANCE FUN ! and most airlines you can take them for FREE ! (but no lead acid batteries )
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !

Offline Yoma

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »

I think it should still work OK, but you may find it produces much less torque and has a lot more speed than a wheelchair specific geared hubmotor.

Another drawback will be that it won't have an electrically operated brake release mechanism to stop you rolling downhill when the power is turned off.

Alan

What about using something like one of these Kelly mini controllers http://Kellycontroller.com/kbs2405120a12-24v-mini-brushless-dc-controller-p-499.html ?

I was thinking that perhaps I could use one of these myself with 12 " hub ( MW12B )
at the rear ( just the one ) , at least thats the current idea.

yoma
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:11:00 PM by yoma »

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
Here is a link for video MW12B's on wheel chair control 36v max

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qu1o7ycgBI&feature=player_embedded

Offline Yoma

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
Here is a link for video MW12B's on wheel chair control 36v max

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qu1o7ycgBI&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for the video thaialien,

I know this sounds a funny question, but have you tried  this hub motor  freewheeling   ?

I want to know how easy,  or hard it would be use this hub without motor asssitance for someone who wanted to use it like a knee walker shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ext-yGez0Sk

My idea was to use one of these hub motors  as a rear drive  that can be turned off and on when wanted for assistance i.e .going uphill , rougher terrain etc.

yoma
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:41:49 PM by yoma »

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »
Hi Yoma
well the motor fits in 135mm opening !
I think you may have some difficulty with this idea,,i do not know like the video ,you have same problem !
But I know its stable ! but not built for speed ! and I do not know if you have purchased it yet ?
But take alook at this (a mod for support knee with padding and if you want a seat too !)

motor will turn about 3 turns before stopping ( just tested this in my house ) with one good push of the hand (thats not as free a wheel and bearings !
they use this wheel on a folding bike in US in florida easy something !
so you wanted to put it as rear wheel so you have two front one motorized rear ! 

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad

Offline Yoma

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
Hi Yoma
well the motor fits in 135mm opening !
I think you may have some difficulty with this idea,,i do not know like the video ,you have same problem !
But I know its stable ! but not built for speed ! and I do not know if you have purchased it yet ?
But take alook at this (a mod for support knee with padding and if you want a seat too !)

motor will turn about 3 turns before stopping ( just tested this in my house ) with one good push of the hand (thats not as free a wheel and bearings !
they use this wheel on a folding bike in US in florida easy something !
so you wanted to put it as rear wheel so you have two front one motorized rear ! 

Hello again.

I actually don't want to go fast at all.

Ideally what I was looking for,  was a motor like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPMELUicG4

that responded to the users movement only when they moved .

yoma

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »
OK
i have these details on file
1. Rated voltage and power: 24v180w also 36v250w 48v with 350w
2. Wheel size: 12"
3. Speed: (18Kph=24v 25Kph =36v 35Kph=48v)))
Its all the same Motor OK
Good luck with your project !

Offline CarlT

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
That power-assisted wheelchair has got to have some patented motor with a computer or something. It probably has gyros in it to determine when to power on and how much power to provide. Does Golden Motor have anything that is similar to that? I'm looking to power a wheelchair that will fit in a handicap van.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:30:50 PM by CarlT »
Carl