Author Topic: New Magic Vector 5 - Motor not working  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Carpentersyed

• Confirmed
New Magic Vector 5 - Motor not working
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:17:52 AM »
Hi,

Recently I ordered the 36V Magic Pie vector 5 (fatbike). I had to change the parameters to 48V to match the battery. After doing so, I connected the battery to controller and noticed the throttle LEDs light up. I tested the throttle and it did not affect the motor. I then disconnected the brakes and horn and, still nothing. I turned the battery off, disconnected, re-connected, turned on, and no results either. Disconnected the throttle, re-connected and also nothing.

The product is brand new and the motor is not functioning albeit, the battery is charged (providing over 49V) and the wiring connection is solid.
What could be the issue?

P.S. I have ordered a ticket from support on goldenmotor but thought I could receive advice here.

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New Magic Vector 5 - Motor not working
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

I suspect the motor will not run because parameters have not been saved correctly when you tried to reprogram the controller voltage, as you must always save the parameters to the controller after adjusting them in order to activate the new settings:

After saving to the controller, I always read the parameters again to check that the alterations have been correctly accepted.  ;)

If your controller voltage is still set at 36V, the fully charged voltage of the 48V battery will exceed the Overvoltage protection value for the controller and prevent the motor from running.

If you have the Bluetooth display on your phone, you should see "Over Voltage protection" displayed just below the km/h label on the speedometer:

If you are trying to alter the parameters via Bluetooth (and the parameters have been saved correctly) you should see the "Modify the parameters success" message pop up at the bottom of the screen:

If you do not receive this message, and the parameters are not being changed in the controller, then I suggest you try an earlier version of the GM Bluetooth App (Version 1.1 or 1.13). Check out this post for more details.

Also, if you are using the 36V throttle with a 48V battery, be aware that the throttle unit will become quite warm during use, and the three of the LEDs will all remain constantly lit while the battery power is turned on, regardless of the amount of usable battery capacity still remaining.

Because the battery voltage is so high, the LEDs will not gradually go off one at a time to indicate that more of the battery capacity has been used, even when the battery voltage is so low that the motor will no longer run!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:44:10 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
very interesting answer, thanks Alan.
Is it so that the throttle should be changed if moving from a 24V to a 48V battery? (when I bought my MP5, I ordered a 24V configuration).
Or can this adaptation of the throttle be done by myself through a simple exchange of componants (resistors) ?

Second question: there is a push button on my throttle. I never could find any change on my motor if I push or not this button.
Could it be that this button is also configured for 24V and with my 48V-battery it has no effect? And what effect should it really have ?
I read somewhere that it enables/disables pedelec, but this has never worked, my pedelec is always active (push button pressed or not)

Offline Carpentersyed

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
Hey Alan, thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately, re-setting the parameters did not change a thing.
I did download the settings into the controller as shown on the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBsP8q40Vws) and your pictures.

What would be the next step?

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
what are currently your settings? (all voltages, max and min values)

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »
Is it so that the throttle should be changed if moving from a 24V to a 48V battery? (when I bought my MP5, I ordered a 24V configuration).
Or can this adaptation of the throttle be done by myself through a simple exchange of components (resistors) ?

Second question: there is a push button on my throttle. I never could find any change on my motor if I push or not this button.
Could it be that this button is also configured for 24V and with my 48V-battery it has no effect? And what effect should it really have ?
I read somewhere that it enables/disables pedelec, but this has never worked, my pedelec is always active (push button pressed or not)

Placing a suitable resistor into the battery gauge supply wire will allow lower voltage gauges to be used with higher voltage batteries. Check out this post for more information.

The button on the throttle unit is configured to switch battery voltage (24, 36, or 48V depending on battery) to the Red lighting feed wire on the front control harness:

If you have the thumb throttle, they usually come apart quite easily

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:27:34 PM by Bikemad »

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:21:19 AM »
Hey Alan, thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately, re-setting the parameters did not change a thing.
I did download the settings into the controller as shown on the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBsP8q40Vws) and your pictures.

What would be the next step?

Did you read the parameters after saving them to check that the alterations had been correctly accepted?
Close the program and reopen it and check that the rated battery voltage is still 48V as shown here:

If the controller's "Rated battery voltage (V)" parameter is definitely set to 48V and it still doesn't run, check the pins on the throttle connector and make sure none of them have been bent over by forcing the plug into the socket with the pins misaligned.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:24:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »
The button on the throttle unit is configured to switch battery voltage (24, 36, or 48V depending on battery) to the Red lighting feed wire on the front control harness:
Alan

Yeah!! indeed. I had to make some trials and to empty a little bit my battery, but it seems now that with the button pressed, the green light goes off when I really accelerate (20A).
Best thanks Alan for your advices.
Yes, I have a thumb throttle and it came apart ...alone. So I had put a big piece of glue on it, therefore now for the moment I will not open it and continue to test the throttle with the button pushed.

Offline Carpentersyed

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:10 PM »
Yes I have saved the parameters and have indeed checked them on the software by disconnecting and reconnecting. They were "downloaded" into the controller and after disconnecting then reconnecting, the software read 48V.

I continued diagnostics by checking the pins and connection of the throttle, brakes, and horn and they seem good.
I also took out the controller and counted 14 flashes upon connection to power. It must be the throttle malfunctioning as the wire harness is thoroughly connected.

I have contacted goldenmotor and am awaiting their reply. I appreciate your assistance thus far.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:27:36 PM by Carpentersyed »

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:01 PM »
ok for the 48V nominal voltage but what about the other settings concerning min and max values?
Are they compatible with your 48V battery? Normally the software forces you to change those values if they are not in a certain interval, but I could imagine some malfunction if for example the max value is too low (ex: 36V) and you put a 48V battery, the motor should refuse to work.

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 12:02:02 AM »
Asterix, it is only version 1.30 of the GM Bluetooth App that forces you have to manually enter the required Nominal battery voltage (V), the Overvoltage protection value (V) and the Undervoltage protection value (V) before it will save to the controller.

All the other Bluetooth versions will automatically update the undervoltage and overvoltage figures when you select the Nominal battery voltage from the drop down option menu.

As the settings were "downloaded into the controller as shown on the video", then it must have been carried out with the USB programming lead and the PC program, which also enters the default undervoltage and overvoltage figures automatically when the Rated battery voltage value is selected from the drop down option menu.

Alan

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
ok, thanks for clarification Alan.