Author Topic: Pas not working, but regen brake is all right on external controller  (Read 7579 times)

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
Dear guys,
I am new but I need a little of help please:
I have bought a external controller BAC-0281 and I have a not GM front 36v 500watt engine.
I have connected all to the engine but not throttle, because I don`t need, due fact in Japan you cannot use more throttle on ebike, but only PAS.

I can program controller, also directly by my netbook, and I also can change regen level.
I can activate PAS succesfully, and then I hear a BEEP, this is a sign that controller acepted PAS shifting.
But when I ride PAS is not working.
Really sorry...
I don`t know why ???

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Pas not working, but regen brake is all right on external controller
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »

Hi Marco andto the forum.

I would try plugging in a throttle just to confirm that the motor will run correctly with the controller.

Make sure that the magnets are as close as possible to the sensor, but without actually touching it.

If it doesn't work when the pedals are rotated in the normal direction, try turning them in the opposite direction to see if then works.

Sometimes, turning the magnet ring around on the pedal spindle so the opposite sides of the magnets are facing the sensor can make a difference.

Alan

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »
dear Alan,
thank you very much for your answer, actually I just checked that sensor is working by testing on another controller, and it works perfectly. My ebike is a double motor with double controller, and recently I replaced my old rege-controller type with a new GM 0281 controller + software.
I couldn`t check connected another throttle, but tomorrow I will try using the throttle of my wife.

By the way, I really need your help, because I don`t know how to conenct all of these connectors:
I have one connector white that I don`t know where to attack.
And I see one cable that has a label "power switch" that starts from main red and go directly to "g" pin of the controlelr (it means feeds the controller).
How I can activate alarm ?
I don`t have switch in my Lifepo4 battery.
The old controller (regen type) before to dye had a logical switch, and if I didn`t turn on it, the controller had no current.
So how GM controller can understand that I want to activate alarm if it`s always on ?
maybe putting a switch on the main red of the battery ??
if it@s so the controller can understand it very well, but I don`t know if it`s so...
I cannot find easily a switch for 5 mm cable of the battery...

Thanks in advance.
marco

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:12:15 AM »

Marco, without seeing a picture of the white connector showing which terminals the wires are connected to, I am unable to say for sure what should be connected to it, perhaps it's for the horn or LED lighting etc.?

Regarding the alarm function, other users have mentioned that this function is no longer supported, as it doesn't appear to work at all on any the later controllers that have been tested.

Alan

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 03:27:03 AM »
Dear Alan,
Thank you very much, it seems you can follow many persons, and I believe it`s very hard to give support for all!!
thanks a lot.
I will make a picture and then I will send to you. Now here it`s 12.25 and I will have lunch, in the afternoon I will make the picture and some test with the throttle of my wife.

I had to replay my old PAS sensor.

I believe the alarm function is yet supported, but maybe it`s connected with the appropriate use of the extra connection/switch that this controller has.

A dopo (in italian language: see you later)

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »
Dear Alan,
as I said I made several test.
First of all I tried Throttle, and I must say that it works.
Only PAS cannot work.
I must say also that the same PAS sensor, work perfectly on my second controller (as I said I have two motors ebike, and 2 controllers).
To test throttle system I couldn`t disconnect it from my wife` ebike becuase it has a nother connector.
But I connected the gray cable and red cable of the throttle connector of my GM controller and precedently I have setted forward scale to 50%.
In this situation I tested, and the wheel gradually turned.
It was a nice news, but then I had a problem with programming cable, and the programming cable has a false contact, so I had to fix.

NB:
THE COLORS OF WHEEL PHASE TO CONTROLLER WERE INVERTED: (yellow with blue... and so on...) I had to exchange (I mean th GM inverted the 3 short cables that connect to the controller)!!!

Why now I cannot use PAS, if the throttle is all right ?
Maybe the PAS system works ONLY in connection with throttle ?
Does Throttle and PAS are welded in series on the GM controller ?
Do I need to have always connected throttle ?
Thank you very much in advance...
Have a nice day, here it`s a hot summer in Japan...

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
Der Alan,
how are you ?
did you have a lot of work ?
I worked around my ebike and I found very interesting thing:
I could let work PAS sensor CONNECTING PAS SENSOR INTO THROTTLE PLUG!!!!!
IT WORKS GREAT!
It happened because I tested many times PAS with GM controller nad I had to rewired the PAS connector to GM controller becuase my PAS sensor is from another kit, and so I believed that maybe PAS doesn`t work becuase the colors are not the same.
So I tested to put RED and BLACk and GREEN (or GRAY) color in different order into GM PAS plug. But nothing happened.
Durinf these tests I noticed a strange concidence: the color for PAS are the same for Throttle, so I tried to connect PAS connector into GM throttle plug.
It works very well, and also have some positive points:
I can change many parameters by software on THROTTLE but very poor settings for PAS.
And so what I mean si this: if some users needs to use PAS for legal sitaion, and doesn`t want to use throttle it`s possible to connect PAS to throttle and let work perfectly and using throttle setting from GM software console.

But I cannot understand why ????
Why I cannot use PAS ?

i still have to finish to test all system, with two engine system together.
usually on old configuration I used one sensor and one double cable taht connect the two controllers.
I couldn`t test this tonight but I can make tomorrow.

By the way ... what`s RPM setting in software screen ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »

Hi Marco, to answer your question, I'm very tired and achy and looking forward to having a nice hot bath to make my back feel better, as I've been working very hard today shovelling sand and laying some more block paving on my driveway.

I'm very pleased to hear that you've eventually got the pedelec working.

As your pedelec sensor controls the throttle, it must have a variable voltage output signal instead of the pulsed output signal that the GM pedelec sensor transmits, Which would explain why it wouldn't work when connected to the GM pedelec connection.

The RPM setting apparently alters the throttle response time on some controllers, but I could not notice any discernible difference when I tried changing the RPM settings on my MPIII. But to be fair, I was testing the motor in my bench vice and the wheel was therefore not under any load, so if this RPM setting delayed the rate of current being supplied, instead of simply holding back the throttle voltage, then it would be more noticeable under load.

Alan

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
thank you very much Alan,
i hope your back will be nice, I believe that after youfinished your work you will feel very well, being satisfated!
I wil ltry just now RPM settings, and so I can see th difference.
I tried to open the fault PAS sensor, and I found that inseide there`s one electronic circuit.
For the moment it`s all...

see you next!!

Offline marco franzini

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »
Dear Alan,
i just tested today the new asset and new golden motor controller.
I must say that I tested also the quality of the charging process.

And also I tested RPM setting.

I understood that RPM setting is an OVERALL factor that affects PAS and Throttle.
I mean that for eaxmple if you put FWD scale factor at 100 % and you put RPM at 80 %, it will reduce the FWD scale 0f 100 * 0,8 = 80 % at the end.
Or:
for example I made another test:
FWD scale 80 % and RPM 100 % with the same result.
It must affect also PAS level.

Why Golden motor have put this factor ?
The reson is simple: REV scale, PAS level, FWD scale can bu tuned each one, but if I need just to limit ALL these value in one click, I can use RPM % setting.

It`s like a master level meter on the mixer ... ok ?

Also I tested the perfomance of the bicycle just today, because I went to Japanese language school and came back (total of 20 Km).
I live in a hill area... so I could test also regen (I have put regen at 100%)

The ebike, double engine, one sensor splited in two PAS connection, and 12 AH 36 volt light battery, and one of th controller, a low entry level STD controller from ebay for 36 volt system.

I must say that I changed wiring of ebike, from 2 mm to 5.0 sq mm.

Usually in summer I have wiring hot and engine a little warm.
And when I came back from school I must use one engine else battery turn off near my house (my ebike weight is 26 Kg!! all steel!!)

IToday I drived without problem until house, and engine never stopped to go, battery never cut off, and the power is very very high.
I can drive in any situation, and regen brake is better then last controller (it was burned by regen itself)
I hope my golden motor controller dousn`t burn... but it`s summer and so I can test every day, if it fries I can send back (I bought by paypal I have 45 days of daily regen summer use to over-test Gm controller).

And also I have checked the charging time:
usually balancing time of the charger is very long, and the total volt of the battery never arrives at 43,8 Volt, but this time after I came back and I charged I noted the balancing time is very short, and also the total volt of the battery is higher then the other times.

I am satisfated of this controller.

I still have another problem, I must disconnect the battery when I don`t use... because the controller is always connected, BUT I MUST FIND A 5 SWITCH FOR A 5mmsq of wiring... I don`t know where I can find it!!

Thank you very much for your consulting,
if you have any suggestion, please say to me, I like it.

I hope my experience can be useful for all people read this post.

Thanks a lot.
Marco