Author Topic: Magic Pie II Dual Drive  (Read 74729 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Controlling the trailer
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »

Don't forget they would still need to have a throttle (and power break safety switches) fitted to their bike to be able to control the trailer's motor.

Or were you planning to ride along side with a lead coming from your bike? ;D

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie II Dual Drive
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »
Hahaha! What was I thinking!

Gary

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
Could be interesting to have each brake lever for each motor as the brakes itself? For example: If I press the rear brake lever only the rear pie do regen and the same for the front?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
Hi Bruno

This sounds a little dangerous to me. If you were on cruise control and hit one lever one motor would be in regen and the other still pushing. I'm not sure what the result would be if you were on a slipery or uneven surface. Plus it would be very difficult for me to get used to. I have been riding bikes for 40+ years and always use both brakes at the same time. So it would seem this would be of no benifit to me.

Gary

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
Hi Gary!

You're right, now makes sense! As you said earlier: What was I thinking :D

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
Re: Controlling the trailer
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2010, 09:49:43 AM »

Don't forget they would still need to have a throttle (and power break safety switches) fitted to their bike to be able to control the trailer's motor.

Or were you planning to ride along side with a lead coming from your bike? ;D

Alan

Wouldn't it be possible to mount the throttle and brake in the tow hitch as in caravans?

Two shock absorbers pointing in each direction will held the tow hitch in a neutral position, but when you start moving it will stretch out and then the motor try to get the tow hitch back to its neutral position. The same thing happens when you hit the brake and the tow hitch compress, the brake on the wheel get the same amount of power as the towing hitch.

This of course is not applicable with the MP as it has no variable regen. I'll suggest a 36 V mini motor with a free wheel and a disc brake.

If my bicycle projects hadn't already turned my economy to a disaster I may have tried this myself.

Peter

Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2010, 10:53:38 PM »
Gary is there a reason why you need your pack full parallel?

See once ground is connected between the packs there is no need for any other connections than the signal splitters to each controller.

One pack peaked over 40 amps as both packs can not respond to the demand the same. This is why it shut down and you had to put the current down is my guess.

It not a healthy config you're doing here if both packs are in parallel like this unrestricted or not diode blocked.

Im not sure if you remove positive the bridge wire between the packs this would work, I have no schematics nor anything go on just some pictures.

I need your interaction here.

As you know I wait for my lovey pies you packed and sent me and even then they are both rear.  So this isn't even something I will do myself.

I keep thinking the positive bridge I put on the throttle is even needed.  I assumed that the switch mode may be isolated but seeing you used the black and whit wire and it worked my assumptions could be wrong.

You should be able to do 25 amps from each pack no problems with no shut down.  A true 2kw bike is the aim of a dual setup or else there isnt any point.  More of a loss with the added weight.

Hi Leslie

I was thinking about your concerns here on me using my packs in parallel. Since everything else you do seems so impressive, I was wondering why I would doubt your logic. So I started thinking how can I still use my Cycle Analyst if I separate my batteries. Since you place the CA shunt between the battery and the controller how can I still read the data from both batteries at the same time . Can I just use two shunts and parallel the wires after the shunts together to the CA. Then I thought why would I want to group the statistics together. Why not read the stats from each motor/battery combo separately.  

Hmmm

I think I came up with a good solution…

Gary

P.S. Shhh don’t tell monkey!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:04:34 PM by GM Canada »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
Ouch watch the ears guys burning hurts  ;D Lol I didn't even see this post until now

Gary!! Wow this so is not fair, Christmas around the corner and all I would have thought that big pocket of yours had a CA or two in there for monkey! haha

Just don't tell me you hooked up the speed sensor to both wheels. Ok tell me lol and I also want to know if they read different I'm curious now ;)

And is that a mp3 speaker pouch?

I can't even compete with my Super Pie 5000 (yes I renamed it) still only front wheel drive so I'd be left in your dust and distant sound of bass pumping from your mp3 speakers. I'm eagerly awaiting a mysterious replacement controller, which I'm sure will be a fantastic day fitting it  :-\ I'm wondering what effects smaller wheels have with regen etc.

Hey great work, sorry another question but what kind of mounting did you choose? Did you make something up, they look great there mate

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 05:01:27 AM »
You could go over board and use three,  One for both and two for each.  Save you some lazy math really.

Yes and the results?  I bet you'll love remember all these figures,  LOL

Any way my single pie was baking at 49 amps.  Thats until it met its doom with the drill bit from hell.  I told you fabricating things frustrates me.

I still have the safe have MP bike going.

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
Oh no what happened?

What is this drill bit you speak about? And when you say 'baking' is that a good or bad smell?

The suspense is killing me !

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:13 AM »
I did some damage to the board..

I need to get a magnifying glass to see it.  But Ive knocked out throttle and RX TX tracks.

Ill sleep for a day or two and see if I can repair them.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2010, 03:05:48 AM »
Ouch watch the ears guys burning hurts  ;D Lol I didn't even see this post until now

Gary!! Wow this so is not fair, Christmas around the corner and all I would have thought that big pocket of yours had a CA or two in there for monkey! haha

I learned along time ago, if you want to get what you desire for Christmas you have to shop for yourself. "From Santa, To Me!"

Just don't tell me you hooked up the speed sensor to both wheels. Ok tell me lol and I also want to know if they read different I'm curious now ;)

I placed the second speed sensor right beside the fiirst. it doesn't reach the back wheel without extending the wire.

And is that a mp3 speaker pouch?

Man you see everything! I have an Iphone 4 and it rides in the pouch blasting tunes as I go.

I can't even compete with my Super Pie 5000 (yes I renamed it) still only front wheel drive so I'd be left in your dust and distant sound of bass pumping from your mp3 speakers. I'm eagerly awaiting a mysterious replacement controller, which I'm sure will be a fantastic day fitting it  :-\ I'm wondering what effects smaller wheels have with regen etc.

One wheel drive. What happened?

Hey great work, sorry another question but what kind of mounting did you choose? Did you make something up, they look great there mate

Just the standard mounts. I only spent a few minutes hooking it up so I have a few wires to clean up but its working!

Gary
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:58:20 AM by GM Canada »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2010, 03:11:19 AM »
quoting the best I see there Gary ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2010, 03:15:27 AM »

I don't know what happined there, I'm still working on it.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

I don't know what happined there, I'm still working on it.

Gary

The results, the result, the results?

??

?

?

I mean the results from the CA's.

Bring it on