Author Topic: Magic Pie II Dual Drive  (Read 74405 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie II Dual Drive
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2011, 02:32:56 AM »
Yes the Flagpole is no longer around, My dog ate it!

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
TRI-PIE
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:45 AM »
Whoohooo!!

Amazing low end torque on the 16 Inch Magic Pie. Add that to two 26 inch wheels and it takes off like a rocket!

Gary
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:19:48 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
You bastard.....

:D hehe thats crazy Gary!!!

I was honestly wondering how long you were going to hold out there ;)

You must be in the good books with the wife !

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: TRI-PIE (3x3)
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »
Nice one Gary.

I also just noticed you snuck a Magic Pie in the trailor wheel as well.
I don't think Ill go that far, but I do have one in stock that would fit. Hmmm...

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist trying it out, I'm just surprised that you've managed to fight the urge for so long! 

I wonder how it would perform if each of the motors were tweaked to produce a total of 9.3kW, I am already using 3.1kW with a single wheel and the power is fantastic, I'm now trying to imagine how quick the acceleration would be with 3 times that amount of power, but it would require a battery that was capable of supplying 180Amps!  :o

Are you using regen on the trailer too, or have you turned it down completely with the software?

I must admit that it looks very smart with the matching hubs, and I guess that a 3x3 setup will also provide plenty of traction on loose ground and in the snow, but you would probably need to reduce the power on the front wheel to prevent it from spinning too easily on snow and ice. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:18:54 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
Its a seriously nice neat looking setup !!!

I want to know if you can get the trailor sideways in the snow lol

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
TRI-PIE!!!   8)    Gary, that bike is off the hook! 

Well done mate

Andrew

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, I guess I should have posted in it the gallery but this is where it evolved!

The regen is still on 100 percent on the trailer but I do find it dragging every now and then. For the most part the 50+ pounds of lithium and my work gear hold it down. I will certainly have to turn it down soon for the bad weather as it could skid out to the side when braking. I think thats where Monkey would be yelling Woohoo!  ;D

I used a 6 pin trailor plug to connect everything. The power runs up from the batteries to the plug at the back of the carrier and through the shunt of the Cycle Analyst. At that point the positive splits 3 ways to all three motor controllers. Two on the bike one in the trailor by going back through the plug. That takes up the of the 3 of the pins. People might think this is silly but I love it and it serves three purposes. The one simple plug to turn it all on, two sending the power closer to the other motors before routing it back to the trailor motor (Trying to even out the draw) and three being able to route all the power through the Cycle Analyst.

The other three pins are used for throttle , cruise and brake/regen. Everything works fine but I seriously need to upgrade all the battery wires to 10 guage and clean up the rest of the wiring. I also need to insert something in the battery wires to cut down on the spark when I plug in.

Then of course there is the new Large Screen Cycle Analyst the needs the advanced wiring setup. Have you seen these things, I can actually read the screen without my glasses. The fun never ends...

More Pictures to come, I'll post those to my CCM build thread later...

|:0)

Gary

Offline arclight

• Confirmed
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »
 :) Hello all. Happy 2012, Last June  I ordered 2 MPii 48V12ah kits with internal controllers! 1 front & 1 rear ;) I ran the rear solo up untill 2 weeks ago(1700)k  1100 miles mostly on the bike paths and streets in town, it's been quite a learning curve the last 8 months, considering this time last year I didn't know what a controller was! :D it snowed hear on Vancouver Isle, just before Christmas and while riding home from work thru the slush I decided it was time to put the front on!
   Doing 27 kph up a hill that I had to pedal up 2 wk's ago is a blast!
 The Pie 2 is near perfect in this climate even with all the rain.
On one occation last August at a steep point of a 50 mile ride on the logging roads the rear pie quit for 10 seconds(thanks) I needed the break anyway, I'm not 50 any more.  I took Pic's today.
   Thank you GM, Gary, and forum  all the input has been very helpful,  did someone say Infineron and LifePo4 20ah?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:48:18 AM by arclight »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:33 AM »
Glad to hear things are going well. Can we see those pictures :)

Gary