Author Topic: Breaks  (Read 5254 times)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Breaks
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »
140mm or 160 mm breaks? Is one for front wheel and one for backwheel?

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Re: Breaks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »
Normally 160mm disc brake is used for front, and 140mm disc brake for rear.

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »
Thank you, Yao Yuan!
Ill have that in back of my mind ordering:)

Iff I mount frontwheel MP, is it normal to fit a back break disk also? Or only frontdiskbreak?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:32:26 PM by karen »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
Thank you, Yao Yuan!
Ill have that in back of my mind ordering:)

Iff I mount frontwheel MP, is it normal to fit a back break disk also? Or only frontdiskbreak?

Front and rear disc brakes are optional.

You diont have to put any disc brake on at all.

Just as long as there are brakes, calipers, V brakes, disc, any sort that work good, is fine.  So you can skip the back disc brake if you want.

I would put the regen brake switch handle on cable that connects to the back wheel brake.  This way you have a more even stopping on both front and back when you use the front hub regen function.  Not just hell brakes all on the front wheel.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:35:21 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
Problem is; not a handle for backbrake... since its a hubgear, you pedal backwords for breaking... so need a new break for back... to avoid using the "internal" one... when I go for a frontwheel MP... I think...

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
I think that there is no way to fasten a disc brake on those bikes with 'back-pedalling' brake...
How about using the horn button for regen brake? :)

An advanced idea:
When one pedal forwards, the upper portion of the chain are taut, when breaking by pedalling backwards, the lower potion of the chain are taut; mounting a small spring-loaded sprocket to the lower potion of the chain with a switch that activates when the (lower portion of the) chain are tight, activates regen brakes...

Or just make it the fact of biking that particular bike that pressing the front brake lightly wil activate the regen brake, and if one want rear brake; pedal backwads... :D

Edit:
My mother also wants a front wheel motor, and she also have a bike with internal 7-gear and back-pedalling for braking... I'll see how we choose to solve that one... :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:54:08 PM by Cornelius »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:26:40 AM »
I think that there is no way to fasten a disc brake on those bikes with 'back-pedalling' brake...
How about using the horn button for regen brake? :)

An advanced idea:
When one pedal forwards, the upper portion of the chain are taut, when breaking by pedalling backwards, the lower potion of the chain are taut; mounting a small spring-loaded sprocket to the lower potion of the chain with a switch that activates when the (lower portion of the) chain are tight, activates regen brakes...

Or just make it the fact of biking that particular bike that pressing the front brake lightly wil activate the regen brake, and if one want rear brake; pedal backwads... :D

Edit:
My mother also wants a front wheel motor, and she also have a bike with internal 7-gear and back-pedalling for braking... I'll see how we choose to solve that one... :)

Ohhh I fiorgot that one, how can one use the clamp brake on a back pedal brake.  Some do have clamp brakes as well?  Or could one install a clamp brake onto the same bike with a back pedal too?

The horn button is a good idea. but why not just hook up the brake switch anyway.  It doesnt need a slip cable to work the regen.  Some may need a dummy spring to pull it back or keep it solid off.  My brake switches have their own springs in them so this is not needed
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:30:44 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:45:50 AM »
Cornelius, let me know how you solve that with your mothers bike... sounds like the same problem... Now packing for a nice Holiday, and since Ive been looking forward to it since October, Ill reveal that Im spending one month in Patong, Phuket 8) starting a week from now. Ill look further into it upon return :P

Leslie(317537), I need some time to find out what you mean by the regen braking. I understand what it does, but still not sure what you mean. I also think breaking by pedaling backwords might be a disaster for the motor iff by chance u are using the cruisecontroller... Trying to make it more "dummyproof" ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:51:07 AM by karen »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 05:15:46 AM »
Yes! Ive experienced that operating the brake and motor at the same time is not good for your battery and can cause dropout failure.

Yes the problem you face is a little bit more complicated than I originally expected.

Cornelius will have the hands on approach posts you will need, so I may pull up a deck chair and watch Cornelius help sort this out for you.

Ive never owned a hub gear bike.

Be great if you could configure pedalic sensors to work with the brakes but that would require quite a bit of reverse engineersing to make it understand the diff between forward and backward pedaling.

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »
LOL - just started thinking about since I need a pedelec fitted - make my mother put me out of the will by fitting a reverse when trying to pedal backwords.... make sure she does it only once :o

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 07:22:07 AM »
LOL - just started thinking about since I need a pedelec fitted - make my mother put me out of the will by fitting a reverse when trying to pedal backwords.... make sure she does it only once :o

LOL.

Tis very funny that one.  8)

Hey all you nice people, I need to take a rest on the forums here.  Just a little while,  I need to do some family stuff.

I am more than positive this place will survive without me, some very capable folks in this GM forum.  

I will be getting some Pie very soon, so I will be back to let you know how I go at it this time.

You guys are all awesome.

LeZ

:D

Bring it on