Author Topic: DC-DC converter vs using 12v battery?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Jiminyfixit

• Confirmed
DC-DC converter vs using 12v battery?
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »
In order to use the original ignition switch in my Honda Reflex conversion, do I need to use the original 12v battery to activate a contactor, or can I use a DC-DC converter to do the same thing?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: DC-DC converter vs using 12v battery?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:51:50 PM »
Hi Jim,

If you are going to use a DC/DC converter instead of a 12V battery you may want to fit a separate switch on the 72V battery supply to the DC/DC converter so that it doesn't draw current from the battery when the bike is not being used.

If you wired a 12V relay to the ignition switch output wire so that the relay contacts automatically closed when the ignition was turned On, the relay contacts could then be used (instead of a separate e-lock switch) to activate or deactivate the contactor according to the ignition switch position.

You could probably repurpose the engine kill switch to turn the DC/DC converter On and Off, as switching it off would instantly stop the DC/DC 12V output, which would effectively turn off the ignition supply, causing the relay to open and deactivate the contactor as well.

You would need to use a 72V contactor to connect/disconnect the battery to/from the controller, which would be wired as shown on the left hand side of this diagram:

The obvious difference would be a 12v relay being used in place of the e-lock switch shown.

You could also use a 12V contactor fed directly from the 12V ignition switch (instead of the 12V relay and a 72V contactor) but the orange e-lock wire going to the controller would need to be connected directly to the battery + terminal on the contactor for it to still work as per the above diagram.

I am still unsure as to whether this controller actually has a built in precharge function, as the e-lock wire on the "WITH CONTACTOR" diagram is supplied with battery voltage before the controller receives full battery power (via the contactor) whereas the "WITHOUT CONTACTOR" diagram appears to be the exact opposite.  ???

Alan

Offline Jiminyfixit

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
Hi Alan,

I appreciate you coming to the rescue!!!

Part of the issue has to do with the DCDC converter. There are several choices that are listed by an eBay seller. They are apparently rated as 10A, 30A, etc. But, when I mentioned that I had a 100A BMS in the battery pack, I was told they didn't have one. Not sure why the BMS would dictate the Amp requirement for the converter. Any ideas?

OK, that's out of the way. I was thinking of connecting the converter to the ignition switch. I'm not sure how it would drain the 72v battery with the switch in the OFF position. I was going to connect the 72v battery to one side of the converter & the 12v side would go to the ignition switch. This would enable all the 12v systems to function & activate the contactor. Will this work?

The contactor I have coming IS a 72v unit. Not sure yet what voltage activates it until I get it.

The e-lock connector is till a mystery to me. I currently have a jumper wire in the plug, with the red wire going to B+. This was the only way to get the throttle to work.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:41:43 AM »
Part of the issue has to do with the DCDC converter. There are several choices that are listed by an eBay seller. They are apparently rated as 10A, 30A, etc. But, when I mentioned that I had a 100A BMS in the battery pack, I was told they didn't have one. Not sure why the BMS would dictate the Amp requirement for the converter. Any ideas?

I'm guessing that they thought you were wanting to buy a 72V DC/DC converter with 100A output.  :o
If you go for a 72V to 13.8V 20A version it should be ideal for your particular application as it only has to power the lights, horn, indicators and a 12V contactor (or a 12V relay to operate a 72V contactor).

The 10A version is a lot cheaper and would probably work OK, but as it would "comparatively" be working much harder, it could also be more likely to fail.

The 13.8V version will provide noticeably brighter lighting than a 12V version as 13.8~14.5V is the typical charging voltage for a 12V vehicle. 

Alan

Offline Jiminyfixit

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 03:52:43 PM »
PERFECT!!! You have verified my original thinking on this and added a great suggestion, (13.8v, 20A). Not sure how they confused my battery pack's 100A BMS as being part of the equation. He asked for info & I provided it, (probably too much).

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions. I wouldn't have bothered you, but after going thru 21 pages of previous posts and not finding the answers, I felt I needed to go to the pro.  (the info I needed was probably on page 22). :)

Cheers,
Jim