Author Topic: Err 30 - my BBSHD controller is dead?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Chris_newton

• Confirmed
Err 30 - my BBSHD controller is dead?
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:59:36 AM »
Hi,

New to electric bikes.

Converted my Rocky Mountain Fusion using the BBSHD 48V kit from Golden Motors.

Everything has been working well but it looks like I may have damaged my controller.

When I turn the display on it lights up briefly and then displays Er 30.

I have:
  • confirmed that the battery voltage is ok with a multimeter
  • inspected the loom for damage and do not see any
  • tried connecting the programming cable and am not able to read any values
  • when the display is connected it lights up for a few seconds but the battery icon is empty

Is there any way to diagnose the controller beyond this given that I think the loom, display and speed sensor seem to be fine?

I think the controller is dead but just wondering how to confirm this.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Err 30 - my BBSHD controller is dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
Hi Chris andto the forum.

As this is not a GoldenMotor product I don't have any experience with that particular controller, but according to the Bafang website the error you are getting is caused by a communication error.

I suggest that you carefully follow their instructions and see if it cures the problem.

ERROR 30:
Communication error
It is most likely a simple connection issue.

1. First unplug and replug all of the connections on your kit including all of the Main Wiring Harness connections (display, throttle, brake levers) and all of the Motor lead connections with the Battery and Speed Sensor. Make sure no pins are bent/damaged on any of the connection plugs and line up the arrows and pins when reconnecting everything to ensure proper connection.

2. If Step 1 does not fix the error, check that none of the wiring on your setup is being pinched, especially the cables coming from the controller. Check to make sure that none of the wiring on your installation is too taught and is pulling the cables from the controller.

3. Open up the controller from the motor core and unplug all of the controller plugs and replug them again ensuring there is no silicone interference and everything is properly connected.

If it still doesn't work after doing as instructed above, I suggest that you contact your supplier for further assistance in rectifying this problem.

Alan

Offline Chris_newton

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 03:23:28 PM »
Thanks Alan.

Agreed.

I am now at the point of opening up the motor case to take a look at the controller.

Starting to track down the tools I need.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:11:29 PM »
Check out this YouTube video showing how to remove the controller if you haven't already seen it.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:30:40 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Chris_newton

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 04:08:52 PM »
Thanks. I have the controller removed.
Fairly straight forward except for disconnecting the last connector that must be covered in silicone as one of the last manufacturing steps. You need to scrape the silicone away prior to finding the release tab for it.

I have been looking for troubleshooting information for these controllers to see if I can figure out what has failed but so far I have not found much on this on the inernet.

I have a replacement controller ordered and will have it early next week (I hope).

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
I have been looking for troubleshooting information for these controllers to see if I can figure out what has failed but so far I have not found much on this on the internet.

Check out this post over on Endless-Sphere regarding controller failures.

Also found another YouTube video showing a loose Phase wire fault.

Alan

Offline Chris_newton

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 12:56:26 AM »
I have the new controller and will test it out as time permits over the next couple of days.

Thanks for all of the links.