Author Topic: Can I use Reverse as my default rotation?  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Jiminyfixit

• Confirmed
Can I use Reverse as my default rotation?
« on: April 11, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
As a new GM forum member, I of course, have some questions. After going around in circles with a well-meaning GM support rep, I'm curious if I can use "reverse" as my default rotation. I finally got the answers to wiring questions and now have a working throttle. The factory wiring diagrams leave a lot to be desired. My application requires the motor be mounted on the R.H. side of the original engine housing on a 2005 Honda Reflex, which necessitates a CCW rotation.  I read in the VEC300 User's Guide something about changing out some controller hall sensor wires and switching 2 motor wires. I think I need some guidance on this before I do something stupid.

So far, I am very impressed with the GM and was delightfully surprised when I placed a previously made adapter plate up to the motor, to find the old E-Tek motor had exactly the same bolt pattern & the shaft was the same diameter, (was able to use the old  coupling). I attempted this conversion 20 years ago and had bad advice from the source who sold me the motor & controller. Blew out the mosfets in the first 30 seconds of a trial run. Went through 2 controllers before scrapping the project & donating the motor to UCLA's Engineering Dept. Kept the scoot in the back of the shed all these years. I think now I can get it right. No forums back then to tap brilliant minds and cold hard experience. Looking forward to replies from fresh minds.

Cheers,
Jim

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can I use Reverse as my default rotation?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »
Hi Jim,

To reverse the default direction of rotation you have to swap the Blue and Yellow Phase wires and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires.
The motor will run in the opposite direction when the "forward/reverse" switch contacts are closed, but the regenerative braking and the cruise control function will not work while the reverse switch is engaged. This is why the default direction of rotation should initially be set by swapping the two Phase wires and two Hall sensor wires as stated above if required.

The Blue and Yellow Phase wires can be easily swapped over on the controller terminals (simply connect Blue to "U" and Yellow to "W") as shown below.

If you cannot easily remove and transpose the individual Green and Yellow wires complete with their connector pins from within the Hall connector housing, I recommend cutting, transposing, soldering and insulating the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires on the controller side of the Hall sensor connector:

Doing this will alleviate additional Hall sensor wiring modifications if the motor is changed at a later date.

A reverse switch can still be used to allow the bike go backwards after the default motor direction has been permanently changed to CCW rotation.
My Vectrix electric scooter has a reverse function which is particularly useful when you have to reverse a 210kg scooter backwards up a slope.

Alan

EDIT: Revised wiring diagram added
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:27:30 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Jiminyfixit

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 11:34:41 PM »
Thank you for the detailed instructions Alan!!! I wanted to nail this part down before I shorten the motor wires.

I was seriously entertaining getting a Vectrix and doing the leaf battery mod, but I remember my test ride years ago and how big and heavy they are. Besides, why do that when I had this Reflex in the shed.

My NEW problem is the RPM's. I made sure, during my order process, that I needed the 4000 RPM upgraded to the 6000 RPM. I tested it today and only had 4089 RPM's, unloaded. I'm curious what the factory is going to tell me. It's been 5 months since I received the motor, due to a delay in getting the desired 72v battery pack that would fit the space where the fuel tank used to be. My original goal was to have a 55 MPH scoot and all my specs indicate the ICE turned 6000 RPM @ 55 MPH. Utilizing the original Reflex engine/variator belt drive housing limits the full function of the GM, due to a 7 to 1 gear reduction in the rear wheel drive. Honda did this to get the ICE RPM's into their power band specs. I want to try the original housing first since it has the shock mounts, frame mounting pieces and rear disc brake assembly with the built-in hand brake.

Thanks again,
Jim

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »
My NEW problem is the RPM's. I made sure, during my order process, that I needed the 4000 RPM upgraded to the 6000 RPM. I tested it today and only had 4089 RPM's, unloaded. I'm curious what the factory is going to tell me.

I suspect that you purchased a 72V motor, but if you had purchased a standard 48V motor it should easily achieve over 6000 rpm on a 72V pack.

Alan

Offline Jiminyfixit

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »
Hi Alan,

So I wonder why Johnson, @ GM was specific about the mod & assured me they would make the change. He never mentioned using a 48v motor. With a limit of 4K, I will wind up with a scoot no different than the cheap ones that can only go 35MPH. Shades of 20 years ago with bad, or incomplete advice from a manufacturer. I tried to educate myself by reading, cover to cover, Carl Vogel's book, "Build your own electric motorcycle", but never saw any mention about a 48v motor capable of higher RPM's than a 72v motor. Damn!  I sent an email to Johnson, so we'll see what his response is.

I greatly appreciate your input Alan!!

Cheers,
Jim