Author Topic: CANBUS data from Vector 500 controller  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Tomstor82

• Confirmed
CANBUS data from Vector 500 controller
« on: March 08, 2020, 07:31:03 AM »
Hi, I've ripped out my old Diesel from my boat, installed a 10kW BLDC with the Vector 500 controller. As my BMS utilises CANBUS for various parameters I made a display with an Arduino set up. However it would be handy to read data from the motor and controller as there have been instances where the controller has overheated under prolonged moderate to heavy load. I haven't gotten around to investigate what data are transmitted on the CANBUS from the controller if any and wonder if anyone has found documentation or done this previously? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: CANBUS data from Vector 500 controller
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Hi Tomstor82 andto the forum.

I don't know if the CAN bus function is available on all VEC controllers as the Controller Guide describes CAN bus as "optional". :-\
Check out this post for more details.

If the controller is overheating, I suggest that you mount it on a water cooled heat sink plate, as there should be an unlimited amount of cold water available for cooling purposes all around the boat.  ::)

Another option would be to use dual controllers (one for each set of Phase wires and Hall sensors) so they both share the load evenly. This option would also have the advantage of allowing the motor to still be used (albeit on half power) if one of the controllers should fail.  ;)

You could even mount each of the dual controllers either side of a single water cooled heat sink plate to ensure that both controllers would be adequately cooled.

Alan

Offline Tomstor82

• Confirmed
Re: CANBUS data from Vector 500 controller
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the Welcome and the reply Alan :)

I hadn't considered using two controllers but that sounds like a good idea for redundancy too. However I am very curious what data can be extracted over the CANBUS if it at all is enabled on my controller and have emailed Golden motors after looking through the link you posted.

I will try to avoid water cooling if I can as I want to conserve as much energy as possible for the running of the essentials on the boat but I was looking at an extractor fan which might prove as power hungry as a water cooling system so I'll have to weigh them against each other. Thanks again.

Tom