Author Topic: Looking to add front hub motors to two recumbent trikes  (Read 5052 times)

Offline TrikeBirder

• Confirmed
Looking to add front hub motors to two recumbent trikes
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
Greetings all,

We have three recumbent trikes- a TerraTrike Rover tandem equipped with a BBSHD, aTerraTrike Traveler equipped with a Nuvinci N380 hub mounted on a 24" wheel, and a Catrike 559 equipped with a Rohloff hub and a Schlumpf High Speed Drive. I want to add a front hub motor to both the Traveler and the 559 since I want to keep the the current hubs. My questions are:

1) is this relatively easily accomplished?
2) Is this feasible/advisable?
3) Are there specific issues or considerations I need to attend to?
4) What is the likelihood that I can maintain the foldability of the two trikes?
5) Might there be alternate/better options for adding electric assist to these trikes?
6) Roughly speaking, how much is it likely to cost me for a complete nicely equipped kit for each of these builds?

Thanks in advance for everyone who responds to this post.

Mike (aka TrikeBirder)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Looking to add front hub motors to two recumbent trikes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:46:36 AM »
Hi Mike andto the forum.

I don't know if anyone produces hub motors suitable for single sided fixing, as all of the hub motor conversions I have seen (with the exception of low speed BLDC wheelchair motors) require the axle to be secured at both ends.

I think that another BBSHD (or inline chain drive setup like the Cyclone unit) would seem to be the obvious choice, but you will need to do your own research on these as to their suitability, ease of installation and cost etc.

Alan