Author Topic: Rear wheel 2-speed conversion  (Read 4319 times)

Offline norkmeister

Rear wheel 2-speed conversion
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
Hello all,

Just sharing the recent conversion I did on my rear wheel kit from a 5-speed free wheel cassette to a single speed free wheel.  The one that shipped with my motor started making position-dependent clicking noises on my first commute.  The guy at the bike shop said it was common, but only impacted on the low quality cassettes due to certain relative positions where the free wheel and the cassette weren't square.  He also said that it wasn't possible to buy a good quality screw-on cassette.  All of the medium to good quality ones slide on, but you could by good quality single-speed freewheels that screw on.  These are made for high end BMX bikes and have 16 teeth.

So I converted my once 27-speed mountain bike to a two-speed.  I put the 16T free wheel on the back and replaced my max size 44T front crankset with a shimano sora 50/34T road crankset.  This works a treat and now I have fewer mechanical potential failures.  I never changed out of top gear anyway, so this is working quite well.

My on-the-flat cruising speed is now 39kph if I put in a moderate amount of effort. 
For pictures and further details please have a look at my blog:
http://ebike2work.blogspot.com/