Author Topic: from REGE to STANDARD controller  (Read 6506 times)

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
from REGE to STANDARD controller
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »
Hello everybody.
Since my motor didn't work, I made a test with a 48V controller and it worked fine.
So my standard controller is down.
I asked Philip Yao for purchasing a new one, but he definitively doesn't reply. Very disappointing...
I have a regenerative controller, but I find it very unuseful, because of the braking and the lack of motor switch on my throttle.
I understand that there is no mean to get a freewheel/regen switch for the regen controller.
But what about definitively disabling the regenerative mode, in order to convert the rege controller back to a standard one ?
Thank you.

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
Re: from REGE to STANDARD controller
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:24:40 PM »
Nobody ? Well, I reply to myself, although I don't give a solution, but some further observations.
Today I have used the rege controller on my usual way instead of the broken standard controller.
I really can't find its interest :
The braking was so strong that I had to use throttle even in the places where I usually only pedal ; When releasing it, I went down a 15% street at less than 15 km/h, and it totally stopped me when running down a the smoother hill.
My average speed for 13 km has decreased from 24 to 20 km/h, whereas my consumption has increased by 10%. Because I had to maintain the throttle engaged, my thumb was aching...
I would like to buy a new standard controller, but Mr Yao DOES NOT REPLY anymore. Very frustating. Since it is not easy to find a Goldenmotor controller elsewhere, do you think I can use a Crystalyte one for instance ?

Offline rlt

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:47:59 AM »
Sorry that no one knowledgeable has replied.  I don't KNOW, but I believe that a Crystallite or indeed any brushless motor controller in the proper voltage and amperage range would work for you.

That said, don't whip out the credit card until someone more knowledgable about the Golden Motor answers....  I've never even seen one yet, much less experimented.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:38:58 AM »
As I understand, another brand of controller such as crystalight WILL NOT work with the goldens because of the clocking of the Hall Sensors. So. I guess you are stuck trying to get a replacement. This re occuring theme I am noticing with this company. "Give me your money and I will deliver a product that is substandard and no warranty or support after purchase."  This problem must be addressed immediately or the company will lose all their customers, present and future because here in the U.S.A once your bad reputation is known it takes seven times the maketing effort to regain the customers lost to poor products.
    Philip , If you are serious on saving your company, establish a warranty return center here in the U.S.A. and dramatically improve product quality FAST!! :o :o :o :o :o

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:50:37 AM »
Thank you rlt and mustangman for your advices.
I am surprised by the lack of reply from Mr Yao, because six months ago, I told him that my first kit didn't work. Then he told me to send it back, and I had it repaired. I thought it was serious.
I became disappointed when the repaired motor stopped working after one week
But now that I only want to buy a useful controller (not this kind of stupid electric brake), no more response ! So I have changed my mind, and european forumers which whom I share my observations are changing their too.

Offline johnbear

• Confirmed
Re: from REGE to STANDARD controller Experiences
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 03:31:31 PM »
How many people have the regen controller. What is your experience with it. Is it regen breaking?

Thanks!

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
The conclusion over at Endless Sphere seems to be that regen braking for e-bikes is a bit of a gimmick.  Most of the gains in energy use are attributed to a more conservative accelleration and speed profile from the normal controllers.  The electric braking effect does kick in when you roll the throttle back.  I don't know how strong the braking is.