Author Topic: Installing the brakes  (Read 4728 times)

Offline edmonton

Installing the brakes
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just tried to install a new front wheel e-bike conversion kit that I ordered from goldenmotor.com, and I'm not sure how to install the brakes (they are not mentioned in any instruction manual that I can find. When I try to engage the brakes, there is no resistance (I can put them all the way down to the handlebar without any effort) and they do not slow down the wheel. I have them plugged into the correct plug on the controller, and I have tried to adjust the nut (or whatever it is) on the brake, it did not seem to have any effect.

Would anyone be able to tell me the correct settings to get the brakes to function?

Thank you.

Offline edmonton

Re: Installing the brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 08:21:54 PM »
Yes. Am I to understand that they only cut the power, and I need to reconnect the original brake cable to the new lever? I suppose that makes sense, I just assumed that the levers operated some sort of disk brake inside of the hub motor.

Offline hal698

Re: Installing the brakes
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »
I've seen other setups that do the same thing. If you have the twist throttle it is mounted in conjunction with the hand brake and looks like a standard bike setup, ie handlebar grip and front brake. The only difference is the little wire coming from handle bar grip/throttle. When you throttle back it cuts power to the motor, but you still have to use your handbrake. I've seen articles about throttling back and it charging the battery at the same time. That type of setup would provide some resistance and be a good way to slow down. There's an ebike shop in St. Albert which could help you out for a small nominal fee of course. ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:50:03 AM by hal698 »