Author Topic: Speed control in pedelec system  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Manu

Speed control in pedelec system
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »
Is there anyone on the forum who has a Pedelec system from Goldenmotor. I want to know how does speed control work with such a system. I mean, does the motor turn off as soon as you stop pedaling?

Is it easy to install in all bikes or are there certain bikes where it's not compatible?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Speed control in pedelec system
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
Since there are not that many users on the forum from Europe yet where the Pedelec system is mandatory you may get a quicker and more detailed response by dropping an email to sales@goldenmotor,com

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:15:37 PM »
I am an european user of this pedelec.
It is really an "0 % / 100 %" system that turn the motor on at maximum level when you start pedaling, and cut it off when you stop (with about a 2 seconds delay).
If you use it, beware of the fact it works even with a short retro-pedaling (for instance when you adjust your position before starting).

Offline Manu

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:17:04 PM »
Thanks myelectricbike. Yes, I realise that it's not very popular forum yet. Did a search and didn't come up with much. I prefer a Pedelec system over the standard because pedal-less riding isn't for me. I'm going for a conversion to use less energy and be more fit. At the same time I'd like to extend the range of the bike.

I'm not very familiar with how most people use their bikes after the conversion but I think if you run the bike exclusively on electricity then it's not that much fun. The point of a bike is to use human power to get you from point A to point B. Now if a tool can help you extend that range then its great but if you rely solely on energy from the grid and don't push it yourself...thats not cool.

Offline Manu

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
Quote from: caradec
It is really an "0 % / 100 %" system that turn the motor on at maximum level when you start pedaling, and cut it off when you stop (with about a 2 seconds delay).

Thanks Caradec. That's not a very helpful system. Most pedal assist systems have 35% 50% 75% assisting options. A zero or 100% system doesn't sound good.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »
It seems like a pretty pointless legal requirement if it kicks in from an unintended turn of the crank. For the purpose you have expressed it would in fact have to be switchable to work the opposite way, i.e., turn the motor off whenever you start pedaling and back on when you stopped. All of this is possible in the new things being considered for updating the regen controller.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:24:28 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:20:12 PM »
An update allowing a combination between the pedelec and the throttle would be nice, because at this point, when using both pedelec and throttle, the last has no effect.
As a result, I personally disconnect the pedelec, except when I need to ride at maximum speed without considering the battery.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 04:08:59 PM »
It really does seem to be a quick implementation to satisfy the legal requirement rather than a fully integrated part that adds significant functionality.  There would need to be more sensors and a smarter algorithm to be able to sense direction of pedalling or to turn it on in increments.  One of the problems with turning it on in increments (0/24/50/75/100%) is the gearing, which disconnects the relationship between pedal speed and ground speed.