Author Topic: freewheel/regen mode switch  (Read 36508 times)

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
Re: freewheel/regen mode switch
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 07:35:23 AM »
Actually I did not ask sales anything about this mod.  I only contact sales (Philip) when ordering. 

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:51 AM »
The regen functions are under proprietary software rather than hardware control. Limitation on top speed comes from finding the RPM of maximum efficiency via software analysis and limiting top speed to it.

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »
I put my shifter on the left side so I could hold down the throttle while changing gears. I have a 21 speed so now, my 3-way shifter and the 7-way are beside each other. Looks different and takes some getting used to, but it works! Try that. I do not have a regen controller, but was like you and didn't want to take my hand off the throttle to change gears.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »
Also the only reason why you cannot lift you hand off the throttle to change gears, wave at a friend, take a drink of water is the absence of a thumb screw. If you add one, however, be particularly cautious in its use. Eventually the controller may provide electronically controlled cruise control and you will not have to provide mechanically controlled cruise control of your own.

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »
I had read about erdurbin shifter placement before and it's a good idea, but I like being able to give the bike an electric push and coast for a while.  Can't do that with the regen controller.

Anyway, this electronic cruise control would be great.  I guess it could be disengaged by pressing the brakes, for example.

But I still want to give that freewheel/regen switch a try.  I'm now looking for an automotive power mosfet for it.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »
After applying throttle to the regen controller you can back off the throttle into freewheel and manually maintain throttle position there.

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
I didn't know that it wouldn't freewheel because I don't have one. I think someone said earlier that you can give it the push you want and then just hold the throttle on just enough that the regen function doesn't  kick in yet. Is this right? For example, hold the throttle around 5-10% so it is still pushing, but only at a minimal rate.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »
Golden's new, new (for lack of a better name) regen controller is expected to allow the user to configure the width of the freewheel between throttle and regen. The first new (for lack of a better name) regen controller I got had a fairly tight freewheel but not overly so that you could not follow it all the way down to zero. The second one I got was a lot wider and had a lot wider freewheel at the bottom as well. The second regen controller also seems to have the power brake cut-off so that if you really want freewheel without having to follow it with the throttle then you just apply the power brake cut-off instead. Since I have not yet received the new, new regen controller that is supposed to let me program the width of freewheel that suits me I can't tell you much about it. Consequently I'm thinking about taking a throttle apart and redesigning it so that I can have cruise control.

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 02:53:03 AM »
I was trying the regen controller on my delta trike and found one more reason for having a freewheel/regen switch.  When maneuvering the trike in tight spaces, like my garage, I usually alternate between pushing it backwards with the feet on the ground and moving it forward with no power assist so I can have more control over it and not bump into anything.   The problem is, with the regen control and zero throttle, it's like pushing a bike with brakes engaged.

OK, I know a simple on/off switch would do in this case.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 04:12:44 AM »
Does your regen controller have leads for the power brake cut-off switch levers? I have one that does and one that does not.

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 05:56:45 AM »
I don't remember, but I'll have a look at it.  I'll try my freewheel/regen switching circuit prototype anyway.  I'm making a PCB for it right now.

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 09:29:52 AM »
Hello,
I don't speak english very well, but reading you I'm afraid to have to understand that the regenerative controller has only 2 functions, depending on the position of the red button on the throttle : ON, with an enormous braking that oblige me to use power even on flat parts and down hills (!), and off, with only pedaling...
I have ordered it, and I am very disappointed with it : worst acceleration, lower speed, and above all a constant braking.
Is the red button only intended to cut the power off, when you don't want the regenerative braking to slow you down ? I can't test it by myself, because the thumb throttle that was sent to me has NO red button (and Mr Yao doesn't reply to my e-mails now...),
If so, it is not useful, because you have only 2 choices : either to use more power to move, or to cut the motor off and pedaling ?
After a short struggle against the motor in order to move in spite of its unwanted braking, I went back to my standard controller.
Did I miss something ?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »
The thumb throttle with red button (push-on, push-off) switch I have did not come with the brown and yellow leads for the switch or the green and black leads for the level indicator LED's connected. The controller has green and black leads with a connector but I think these leads are for reverse rather than to power the green (+) and black (-) leads for the LED level indicator on the thumb throttle switch. Odd consideration to use identical lead colors on the thumb throttle and on the controller that do not match in function. Maybe this is why the thumb throttle did not come with these leads connected or with a connector for these leads. Mr. Yao would be the person to contact for a replacement and I think he has returned. Send him another email. Best of luck.

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »
I ordered a thumb throttle too, and it doesn't have any red button on it.

Offline caradec

• Confirmed
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2007, 01:50:07 PM »
So does anybody know how to decrease the braking of the controller when regenerating is not needed ? In a few words, what is the good method to use this controller ? Because as far as now, I can't use it in those conditions. Thank you.