Author Topic: New member pre build questions  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Oljackfrost

• Confirmed
New member pre build questions
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
I am planning on building an American Speedster Quadracycle (pending spousal approval). I learned about the Magic Pie from three videos they posted on YouTube. Am I safe in assuming that if I get the Bluetooth dongle that I do not need the usb computer cable? I have an iPhone 5s and from checking the link to the GM app it looks like my version 9 software is compatible. This is my old phone so I’m happy to find a use for it! I already have a battery pack wired in parallel for my 12v trolling motor, I would like to rewire it in series for the Magic Pie until I can afford a dedicated battery. It would give me 48v 10 Ah, any problem? Does the controller reduce voltage from 48v to 12v for lights and horn so they don’t burn out? What gauge wire to hookup lights and horn? Thanks in advance! One comment for Golden Motor Canada: on the new web site it is really hard to find faq, comparisons and forum. I keep having to go back to the old site.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member pre build questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:58:15 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

If your phone works with the GM App and connects to the Bluetooth dongle you should be able to adjust all settings from the phone and also use the phone as a speedometer, odometer, voltmeter and wattmeter etc. so you shouldn't need a USB programming cable.

If your battery pack is able to provide up to 25~30 Amps, then it should be OK with a single Magic Pie.

The controller does not reduce battery voltage for the lights and horn. The Light and horn switches are powered directly from the main battery, so they will switch the full battery voltage to a suitable horn and/or LED light.

The switches and horn/lighting wires are probably OK for switching up to 2 Amps of current.

You would need to use a suitable 48V to 12~13.8V DC/DC converter powered directly from the battery if you want to run a 12V lighting/horn system.

The required wire gauge will obviously depend upon the maximum current and voltage requirements of the specific lights and horn that you decide to use.

Alan

Offline Oljackfrost

• Confirmed
Re: New member pre build questions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks much!