Author Topic: Torque Bars and This Forum  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Vipermn

• Confirmed
Torque Bars and This Forum
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:48:23 PM »
Hi Alan and everyone else. ...I am posting this because maybe someone else might be in the same situation that I am in and this may help them like it's helped me.. E bikes are new to me. I've owned a few H.D.M.C. and a few fast cars but this is my first electric bicycle and just like those other toys I have to go all out so I get the new MP4 front and rear 26"  kits and a 48v10ah battery and I install them on a Trek Liquid 10 Full Suspension mountain bike and with a few snags I am up and running- or so I thought. So in my spare time I start reading these posts in this forum. Now here is how this forum saved me from possibly killing myself on my new toy....you see, until I started reading these posts here I DID NOT KNOW WHAT A TORQUE BAR WAS! Now that might not seem like a life threatening thing but when you consider the type of forks I have and the fact that I have MP4s front and rear that easily take me up to 28.7 mph...and easily create enough torque to snap the dropouts on my front forks while travelling at that 28.7 mph... I think any of you who have been around for awhile can see that could have easily gotten me in a bad wreck or worse...BUT thanks to this forum I learned so much about electric bicycles by reading and reading about all sorts of things but most beneficial to me was what a Torque Bar was and that I probably should not ride my bike any more until I receive mine from Amazon in a few days.. I just had to say thanks to Alan and Gary from GMCA and everyone else here on this forum..and to anyone who is new to e bikes like myself READ all the posts old and new and you might be surprised at what you can learn from them

Jack

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Torque Bars and This Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:37:14 AM »
Thank you for the positive comment. I try to help out but Alan should have a loud round of applause in every room he enters. The guy is incredible to say the least. l

Yes torque arms are a good idea.I usually tend to use them in pairs. Even it both nuts fall off the wheel it still will not come off!

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
Alan should have a loud round of applause in every room he enters.

Gary, that doesn't sound like a very sensible idea to me, I would have to walk around wearing ear defenders all the time to prevent my hearing from becoming permanently damaged. ;)

Alan

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
Gary;

It is interesting that GoldenMotor.com does not have torque arms
as an option to the kits.

It is pretty essential to have them.  I speak from experience here,
I have had the nuts come loose twice now, once dropping out and
twisting the cables.

Maybe you could drop a word with your secret contact in China.