Author Topic: Two many Pies... decided to get some LiPo  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Two many Pies... decided to get some LiPo
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
So I'm getting my new-to-me bike back on the road. Its a 1997 GIANT atx980 full suspension.

I swapped both Magic Pie 2 motors (internal controller) from my old bike (2005 ish Walmart bike I got for free).

Decided to build my own pack from RC LiPo packs. I will certainly miss the compact size and convenience of my GM battery but this way I will have all the power two Magic Pies need to hopefully last longer than my old battery did before the cells were damaged from me draining the pack too much, too often. Plus, I was interested in building something more of "my own".

My new 15aH pack is 14S3P LiPo, giving me ~57.4V hot off the charger, stuffed in a .50cal ammo can. I'm going to avoid draining it too much and take better care of the cells, with the Cycle Analyst in action.

I've also been busy swapping my friend's Pie over to his new bike as well.

Pics to come...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:52:46 PM by pwd »

Offline frank

• Confirmed
  • Cars, Tobaco, Alchohol, the money vultures of life
Re: Two many Pies... decided to get some LiPo
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:45 PM »
How many of the RC packs did you end up using.

And would I be correct in assuming that you have 2 AMMO cans, or is that all in the 1 can for the 2 motors, was thinking of doing same but just for the 1 motor @ 48v.
I don't drive a car, I don't have Big oil shieks with a gun to my head saying give me your money.

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
Hi Frank, I'm using one .50 Caliber can (the larger between the .3 caliber and the .5 caliber).  I'm using 6X 6S 5000mAh packs + 3X 2S 5000mAh packs. Gives me 51.8V nominal and 57.4 V off the charger. If you are considering doing this, make sure you educate your self as much as possible; there are a few things that I would have changed when buying all my equipment and I few things I need to learn. Here is a good place to start if you haven't been there already: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

If you don't mind tinkering and some extra care for your LiPo cells, go for it. Otherwise I suggest sticking with a less complex system. The GM LifeP04 48V 10aH pack actually has plenty of power for both motors; I tried one from a bike I built for a friend and is easy to maintain.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:53:06 PM by pwd »

Offline frank

• Confirmed
  • Cars, Tobaco, Alchohol, the money vultures of life
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »
Thanks, that site is a good one plenty of other information.
I don't drive a car, I don't have Big oil shieks with a gun to my head saying give me your money.