Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 controller - end of the game? How to salvage great MP3?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Perth

• Confirmed
I had MP3 for almost 12 years and made thousands of km on few bike frames. I went through two batteries and 3 controllers.
Now, when the last controlled died I've asked Golden Motor buy MP3 controller  to be told, there are OUT OF STOCK and suggested to buy new MP5 !!? ::)

I have taken my MP3 apart, recently put new bearings and looked how well this motor is made! I would love to find solution to make it run again!
Unfortunately it looks like the MP4 and MP5 controllers are not compatible:(

Please advice a solution. All I can think of :
  • finding elsewhere MP3 controller (do you have spare?
  • fitting external controller with MP3
  • hack MP5 controller to MP3 motor (advise)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 3 controller - end of the game? How to salvage great MP3?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 04:39:26 PM »
If the MPIII controller is simply out of stock (and not discontinued) you may be able to wait for a replacement.
Have you tried other dealers to see if they might have a controller in stock?

Some users have converted their non-vector Magic Pies to run with external Infineon controllers.
More information can be found here and here.

The three Thick Phase wires and the five thin Hall Sensor wires would need to be extended to connect to the external controller:

Converting to an external controller would also require modification of the main harness wiring to suit the new controller.

I would also like to know whether anyone has tried using a Phaserunner controller from GrinTech with a non-vector Magic Pie, as this is the controller I would like to use if I converted my MPII to work with an external controller.

I know from experience that the MP4 vector controller would not work with my MPIII motor, so presumable the MP5 Vector controller will also not work with an MPIII as the MP4 and MP5 have the same stator (which is apparently wound differently to earlier Magic Pie stators).

Alan

Offline Perth

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 02:57:19 AM »
Thanks Alan

No suppliers in my region got to me back with stock  :-[ There won't be any MP3 controller as Golden Motors are axing all Magic Pies,  Anyway, any  potential lucky find of my thirds MP3 controller would not be sustainable long term = so external controller looks like the way to go!

Thanks for the links, could you specify which type of Infineon controller they have used? It seems over 10 years old perhaps things moved on? 
In Australia we can get generic controllers like  like this one. Any opinion if this would it work for non-vector Magic Pies?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 10:57:26 AM by Perth »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 12:13:53 AM »
I suspect that the controller pictured in your last post would probably work fine with the MPIII motor but connecting the existing controls may not be straightforward due to the different style connectors and wire colours.

The controllers I've seen used on the forum were Edward Lyen modified controllers, which appear to still be available from www.lyen.com.

I believe DirtyGinge has successfully used several Lyen controllers with non-vector Magic Pies including the 12 FET 4110 Extreme Modder version and the 6 FET 4110 Sensorless Mini Monster Controller.

Alan