Author Topic: Offset Front Wheel ...  (Read 4789 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Offset Front Wheel ...
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2022, 12:49:39 AM »

Thanks ..I tried rough sandpaper and it didnt do much .. Have a little coarse stone I can put in the drill .. Did the Job .... Wish me luck ... here's a pic of it just sitting in the drop out ..pretty centered and straight ...Just gotta take my time and clamp it down good ..I Think ...I hope ..

Included a Pic of my "shop" ..good thing I'm not married ... Eh

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 04:33:11 PM »

I Need to Apologize for all the trouble I caused ..Complaining about this thing when all along you had told me what the problem was and I refused to believe it ... I am sorry if I upset you or anyone and would be even if it wasn't all because of my stupidity ...I thank you for all the Patience you've shown and of course the help you tried to give and I wouldn't believe ..

Turns out it was tilted in the forks .. when I laid the motor in the dropouts it was straight ..looked over everything and put it together ..."Great" ..first bump when I got outside before I even got on the brake started rubbing ...should have been a clue ..I readjusted the brakes and went for a short 20 minute ride 3? miles ...Had to stop for traffic near the end and noticed the brakes rubbing ..again ..looked at the wheel and sure enough it was "Tilted" again ... Either 1 side was going into the dropout more or the other was slipping down ..seems weird it would do that with all the weight on it ...

Next time I took it apart the Left side seemed to drop a little when I loosened the axle nut .."Another Clue" ........  Decided I need to try something different ..... Used the Washers from Golden Motors that were meant for the inside of the fork ..I used them in place of the "special" Lawyer Lip " washers ...They have more gripping area ..I had to "modify" the lawyer lipps a little with a Dremel to make them fit ...

Used a Tabbed washer for the inside of the forks ..Used a Coarse stone in a drill to rough up all mating surfaces on the bike and the washers for a "better?" grip ...

That was a Week ago ..I have ridden it 5-6 times and it is still centered ... Yaaaaa !!! ..After over 2 years from my pighead ignorance ...what a difference ... I thought it was "Normal" for all this time ..Rode the heck out of it ....And will continue to do so ..

Thanks so much to all that put up with my Crap thru all this .. I am really embarrassed and sorry to have caused so much trouble ... Perhaps my mistakes will help someone else ...Don J. 

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2022, 05:58:12 PM »
Hello DiverDon;
Are you using torque arms to keep your axle nuts tight?

Constant acceleration and brakeing twist the axle back and forth
eventually loosening it (once time catastrophically for me, but that's another story.)

https://goldenmotor.bike/product-category/parts-and-accessories/torque-arm/
You can find them for much less, or if you're handy you can make a better one.

I took a flat plate about 2"x4" of 1mm steel.  I drilled a hole near one end that
was the diameter of my nut. (Not here so I can't measure)  Then I filed (dremeled) the
nut shape into the hole so it barely fits over the nut. 

I chose to make one point of the nut point 15 degrees off the center line of the plate.
(That way turning it over gave a +/- 30 degree offset.  Just arbitrary)
Then I shaped it so I could put a screw through the fender hole, and finally
trimmed the excess material away.

I spray painted mine gold for accent.

Repeated  for the other side.

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2022, 05:50:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply ... Yea I Have 1 on each side .... Everything is working PERFECT now .. Just went for a ride in the pre hurricane wind 25-30 mph ...no sweat ..I set the cruise to 7-8 mph and use the gears to keep some pressure on the petals ...cruising along right into the wind ...The Magic Pie just laughs at it ...

Thanks for your reply ..I have found the torque arms from "Grim Tech" are the best ones I could find ..