Author Topic: 48V Magic Pie 5 motor suddenly stops spinning  (Read 1399 times)

Offline BGF

• Confirmed
48V Magic Pie 5 motor suddenly stops spinning
« on: March 22, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
I have a Quattrocycle (four persons bicycle) with a Golden Motor on it. Devi Motion in the Netherlands mounted this motor on it. But they are no longer a Golden Motor dealer. And the company Quattrocycle doesn’t exist anymore either. So that's why I turn to you with my technical question.

In the beginning the bike had a torque sensor. But sometimes it would give enough power, because some people who drove on the bike, didn't understand they had to put on enough pressure on the pedals. Than the bike got damaged by a little accident. While repairing the bike I also replaced the torque sensor for a rotation sensor. I figured it might be more convenient driving. But now the motor acts weird. When you start pedalling, the motor will speed up, but than suddenly stops for a moment. It, will speed up again and stops again, and it keeps repeating this.

I figured this might be caused by the PAS ratio, so I tried several levels for the PAS ratio. But this didn't help at all.

So now I wonder if I have to put back the torque sensor and remove the rotation sensor again.

Offline BGF

• Confirmed
Re: 48V Magic Pie 5 motor suddenly stops spinning
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »
I have a Quattrocycle (four persons bicycle) with a Golden Motor on it. Devi Motion in the Netherlands mounted this motor on it. But they are no longer a Golden Motor dealer. And the company Quattrocycle doesn’t exist anymore either. So that's why I turn to you with my technical question.

In the beginning the bike had a torque sensor. But sometimes it would give enough power, because some people who drove on the bike, didn't understand they had to put on enough pressure on the pedals. Than the bike got damaged by a little accident. While repairing the bike I also replaced the torque sensor for a rotation sensor. I figured it might be more convenient driving. But now the motor acts weird. When you start pedalling, the motor will speed up, but than suddenly stops for a moment. It, will speed up again and stops again, and it keeps repeating this.

I figured this might be caused by the PAS ratio, so I tried several levels for the PAS ratio. But this didn't help at all.

So now I wonder if I have to put back the torque sensor and remove the rotation sensor again.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 48V Magic Pie 5 motor suddenly stops spinning
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 04:52:42 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Refitting the torque sensor would seem to be the obvious solution, as the basic rotational PAS sensors are not very good at regulating the power.
I ended up removing the PAS sensor on my Magic Pie II because I could not get on with it and I really prefer being able to control the amount of power assistance more precisely using the twist throttle.

However, I do still have a PAS sensor on my MP4 which allows the power setting to be changed via the mode button connected to the BAC-601 Smart Display unit, but I even find this is a bit too spasmodic to use most of the time, so I usually leave it on level 0 and just use the thumb throttle instead.

Alan