Author Topic: Slight knocking noise while pedalling  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
Slight knocking noise while pedalling
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »
Should I be concerned with a slight "Knocking" noise that really sounds like it is coming from my rear hub "Smart Pie" that is only present when I am pedaling? Not noticed when using the motor without pedalling. I tried testing the bike upside down and heard it very lightly, but intermittently and difficult to reproduce without pedal resistance.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:15:54 PM by Ron Burgundy »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Slight knocking noise while pedalling
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
It is probably nothing to worry about, but here are some possible causes of noises coming from the back wheel while pedalling:
  • The freewheel will produce a noticeable clonk each time the slack is taken up as tension is placed on the chain.
  • If you're in the highest gear, the pins in the chain links may rub slightly against the chainstay if there is insufficient clearance
  • If a new freewheel has been fitted with a badly stretched used chain this can result in an unusual noise from the chain/sprocket area while pedalling
  • If the derailleur is not correctly adjusted to line up with the sprockets it will produce noises as the chain continually tries to ride up/down onto to the adjacent gear
However, if the noise is coming from the front chainwheel/bottom bracket area, it could be a loose pedal crank or the bottom bracket bearings themselves are loose or worn.

Alan

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
Re: Slight knocking noise while pedalling
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 12:53:18 AM »
I thought it was the bottom bracket bearing at first because it is hard to pinpoint it while riding. It is not any of the other suggestions you offered. I figured if it was the motor that it would be constant under power or pedaling. I guess if it is the motor it will progress to more noticeable problems before my year warranty is expired. I just dredd having to deal with a warranty problem because I will have to dismantle the majority of my install and be without a bike. 

Thanks for the suggestions in any case.