Author Topic: Replacement Rim  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Replacement Rim
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:47:58 PM »
I ended up having to replace the Rim for my Magic Pie 5 kit, as my bike guy is saying because the spokes where so tight that you couldn't loosen them. It put pressure on the rim and has cracked it on the spoke holes. Is the Golden Motor Rim good enough, or is there a stronger rim out there that I could get down the road ? Lacking the funds currently to go all out on a really good rim right now.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Replacement Rim
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 10:41:39 PM »
I have never had a problem with any of my GM rims, including the original Magic Pie that I unfortunately stress cracked in a few places myself when I attempted to forcefully realign the spoke holes while carrying out the flange modification by bending the rim with a metal rod (screwdriver shaft) to make the holes align in the correct spoke direction to alleviate the bendy spokes:

The few cracks that I caused are no worse today than they were over ten years ago and the rim is still straight and true with no loose (or overtightened) spokes.

I ended up having to replace the Rim for my Magic Pie 5 kit, as my bike guy is saying because the spokes where so tight that you couldn't loosen them. It put pressure on the rim and has cracked it on the spoke holes.

Was this the same bike guy that fitted all new spokes and nipples just over six months ago?   :-\

Spokes do not simply tighten themselves, so they must have been overtightened by your bike guy when he originally installed them.   :o

The main reason for using those thinner gauge butted spokes is to reduce the stress being exerted upon the rim, as the thinner spokes are able to stretch more under high shock loads rather than a thicker spoke simply transmitting the shock directly to the rim. If the spokes are overtightened, they basically lose their ability to stretch and absorb the additional shock loads.  ::)

Alan

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
Yeah he did do that, but at no fault of his own. I was trying to get the wheel centered on the old frame, and he was only doing what I asked the best way he could. We chatted on the phone and he thinks that with a new rim and spacing the axle properly, I shouldn't have problems down the road.

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:52:44 AM »
Is there any sort of delays with orders that you are aware of ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
I haven't purchased anything from GM for some time, let alone during the recent Coronavirus pandemic, so I don't know what delays there could be.

I have however purchased several smaller items from China via eBay and DX.com and I'm still waiting for two separate items that I purchased back in the early part of May.

The USB 3.1 Type-C to USB 2.0 OTG Adapters won't be a problem, but I suspect that the tube of rubber solution may no longer be useable by the time it eventually arrives.  :-\

Alan

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »
It turns out there is no delay. I did notice they are not using UPS to ship now, so that is different. Not sure how Gary was able to keep stock with such a high demand in bikes this year. As for putting on the rim, is there a certain way to space the axle so it's centered, without needing to have one side very tight and the other normal or almost loose ? I never had a issues with it being centered on my first kit. I forget though if I used spacers to have the wheel lined up properly. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »
With the exception of my original Magic Pie that had the crossed spoke pattern, I always lace my hubmotor wheels with the heads of the spokes on the inside of the hub flanges, as this provides better support for the spoke elbow, enables the wheel to withstand stronger lateral forces, and will also allow a wider range of movement for correctly centring the rim:

If you have offset the wheel in the dropouts by adding an additional 3mm (1/8") thick washer on one end of the axle to provide clearance for a wider freewheel, you should only have to offset the rim by a maximum of 1.5mm (1/16") which is easily achieved by spoke adjustment alone with all spokes remaining at an acceptable tension.  ;)

Alan

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
So my rim is now in limbo. I forgot to change my shipping address.. I did change it, but the order was already placed and it now it keeps trying to deliver it to the old address. I contacted Golden Motor Support, and I was told they are trying to get it redirected, but is waiting on the rep to call them back. Calling Canpar myself is nothing more than a waste of time, because they never pick up the phone. So I don't know will happen to the rim now. I would assume it will get returned to Golden Motor ? 

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »
UPDATE: I've made more progress in a 24 hour time frame, then I did over an entire week. I should of just opened a ticket right away, but it never occured to me to do this, and I was never directed to do this when I called in. They are redirecting the rim to my current address and I should have in a few days at most.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 03:02:34 AM »
Glad to hear it.  Now you just have to wait for the ship. 
:)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 03:13:09 AM »
Glad to hear it.  Now you just have to wait for the ship. 
:)

Tracking was updated actually. It now says "Change of Address" and as my current postal code. If I'm lucky, I could get it by Friday ?

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 04:32:53 AM »
I got the rim Thursday. The tracking has said it went to the depot, and was waiting for me there basically. Then a driver shows up, just as I'm heading out. So I brought it over that day to my bike mechanic.