Author Topic: Short circuited bluetooth connector pins  (Read 2558 times)

Offline 9bdk1

• Confirmed
Short circuited bluetooth connector pins
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:51:48 AM »
So I am a fool.  In my haste to install my MP5, I bent one of the pins in the bluetooth done connector.  I tried to bend it back it shape with a pair of pliers and caused a short circuit between the pins with a spark.

The battery gauge is still showing 3 lit up LEDs and is a bit warm to the touch, but the throttle is doing nothing.  Did I fry my poor controller?  Any easy fixes?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Short circuited bluetooth connector pins
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

Only four of the five pins on that connector are used, as indicated on the lower left section of this diagram:

If you have shorted the "Battery +" to either the "Transmit" or "Receive" pins, it has probably damaged the low voltage logic section of the controller, in which case, the controller will probably need to be replaced.

If you have shorted the "Battery +" to the "Battery -" pin for more than just a split second, the direct short across the battery connections might also have damaged the wiring inside the motor harness or the main control harness, but as the battery gauge LEDs are still working, hopefully the harness has survived the ordeal.

If you able to connect to the controller via Bluetooth or USB, try changing the "Reverse enable" setting and then save it and reload the parameters to check if the "Transmit" and "Receive" function is still working.
If it works, make sure the correct battery voltage is selected (and then saved again) before trying the motor again.
If it doesn't run, temporarily unplug both of the brake connectors (just in case a brake switch is stuck on) and try the throttle again, but if it still doesn't run, then a replacement controller may be required.  :(

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:29:55 PM by Bikemad »