Author Topic: Programming the Vector Controller  (Read 68801 times)

Offline Ggtronic

• Confirmed
Re: Programming the Vector Controller
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:44 AM »
DONE : thanks again for all the explanation...i received my cable and it work...

as stated by Todd , the appropriate battery voltage solve the NON regen issue...
now I have excellent regen and I need it :

i need 700 watts to climb this bridge without touching the pedals...

i also drop my max current from 25 to 18 amp since 700watts is plenty of power for me
and I want to raise my total millage...

Acceleration was brutal with instant kick in... i'v lowered the accel from
100 to 80 and now I have a smooth throttle response

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
tried to change paramaters in my wheel
not so good
installed ch340. went well
installed both programming programs . went well
plugged in usb .located to com 5 ,went well
set program to com 5 and hit connect
run time error, and then connected battery to bike ,connection successful
dumped a bunch of values  into program
see the battery value at 24 change it to 48
hit upload , says upload successful ,but at the same time it defaults back to 24 on it own
tried it on second program same thing
the 2 programs upload two different accell numbers one is 5 the other is 100
confused
Laurence

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Hi Laurence, the icons on the program interface are a bit confusing and do take a bit of getting used to.
After you alter the settings you need to click on the "Download" icon to save the settings to the controller.

Clicking the "Upload" icon simply reloads the settings from the controller into the program, just like it does initially when you click "Connect".

The Acceleration setting is different in the programs because it was modified in the controller to allow more control over the setting.

The original controller could only be set at 20, 40, 60, 80 or 100% which seems to show up as 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 with the revised program.

So, why are there two different programs in the Dropbox folder???

Well, when I first tested the front Smart Pie with the vector controller I found the throttle response was too quick and I kept spinning the wheel on rough ground every time I opened the throttle to pull away. I eventually managed to work out how to get the program to connect and reduced the acceleration level to 80% as this was the next available level, but I found it a bit too slow.
I asked GM if the programming software could be modified to allow finer control of the acceleration setting and they eventually sent me a revised controller to test.
I swapped the controller over and was very surprised at how very slow the acceleration was compared to the original controller. I set the acceleration setting to 100% but it still took over 12 seconds to reach maximum rpm on 32V and 27 seconds on 54V.
I contacted GM and explained the problem and they quickly emailed me the revised software to use with the revised controller. I opened the revised software program and connected to the controller and noticed that the acceleration setting was only on 5%, which explained why it was so slow to accelerate. I now have it set to 75% and the acceleration is much quicker than the old controller was at 80%.

So now there are two programs, one for the original vector controllers and one for the the revised vector controllers.
I have left them both accessible as I don't know which of the two controllers people will actually have.

As long as one program works correctly with your controller, that's all you need, but if the Acceleration setting makes no difference, you might want to try the other one.

Alan

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:43:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
download works
as far as acceleration ,wheel is yet to mate a rim
I did change 5% to 85% and it seems to accept it
did it change it on the wheel , don't know yet
thanks for the upload ,download thing
Laurence

Offline Eadz

• Confirmed
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
Hi,

Just a few notes:

My MP4 failed to connect ( or run ) at first, but then it did. My suspicion is the over voltage protection.

When it eventually ran, it accelerated very fast.

I then connected the software and saw that it was programmed at 24V. I changed it to 48V and (after a few goes: download=upload!) I have set it to 48v.

The accel is set to 100, but now it is very very slow to accelerate. I might try the other program.

Also FYI, for Mac users. The program works using virtualbox, and a free IE image from microsoft: https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 05:08:09 AM »
"...
4) Click the “Connect” icon and wait for the timeout error.
5) Then connect the battery power!!
The controller should instantly connect and the relevant parameters should automatically be uploaded and displayed.
..."

I did the correct sequence. Nothing.

I reinstalled the driver BTW (from the download given by BikeMad--CH341SER.EXE--the old one caused the program to crash--alll good now up to a point) and COM 4 showed on the program automatically (correct).
I click connect and get the timeout error.
I turn ON the battery, and I get a window stating to connect the cable. Nothing. Zip. That's it. I unplugged the cable and checked that all five pins were straight (and presumably connecting) and still nothing. Damn. UGH!

Any suggestions?

Big Thanx!
Staying young thru our toys.

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 05:11:11 AM »
BTW- the motor runs when I connect the battery and throttle. Seems to not be set at top speed...but maybe I don't know how to gauge.

Anyway, THAT aspect of the connections work. Just not the USB cable to program/'puter.

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 05:58:20 AM »

A screenshot that shows the warning/window to connect the device.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
I noticed that you are using a later program which I have just seen on the GM website.
I have just downloaded and tried this particular program (V3.1.3) with two different vector controllers (original and revised) and it connects fine with both of them.

The only problems I noticed was the unrecognised font used on the message box buttons and the slight confusion over the program version number, V3.1.3 is shown in the title bar, but V3.1.1 is shown at the top of the left window pane:

If you have the correct driver installed and the correct COM port selected and your controller is not connecting to the software when the battery is connected, it is likely to be one of the following:
  • A problem with your Laptop/PC
  • A faulty USB lead
  • A faulty controller

If you are able to try another laptop or PC it should eliminate any problems with your Laptop/PC. If it doesn't connect with another PC it is probably the USB lead or the controller.

Unfortunately, without another controller or USB lead to try it will be difficult to locate the problem.
If you have a local GM dealer you could send the USB lead to them and ask them to try it out to confirm it works properly.

If the lead can be tested and confirmed as good, it could be a controller fault that is preventing proper communication.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:32:54 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
The computer appears fine. I have never had a problem with it for anything else. I have two USB ports, I tried both. COM 4 and COM 5.
The program recognizes whichever COM and displays the correct one in the window automatically.

I do not have another computer to try.
As I said, the motor works with throttle (it just seems to not turn at a high speed--maybe the controller is set to 24v and my battery is a 48v??).

Anything I can try? Gary Salo already had to resend the cable--as the first one was not the correct 5 pin.

thanx

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
It won't hurt to try one of the other programs in the Dropbox folder but I don't think the program is the problem.

If the controller was set to 24V the high voltage protection value would disable the controller completely if the battery voltage was too high and the motor would not run at all, but it would not affect the maximum speed.

I don't know what else to suggest apart from sending an email to David wyh@goldenmotor.com to see if he has come across this error before.

Alan

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 02:38:01 AM »
I have the new BAC-601. It has a feature on it showing faults. The code displayed is "9". This translates as "communication error"...and the speedo isn't working (you plug this thing into the same cable that the USB cable plugs into).
So, I guess the controller is faulty? Or the wiring? I've never had this out of the house yet and so many problems.
damn..

The pictures are of the lengthened cable I got directly from GM in China. 35 clams each.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:32:31 PM by Scooter »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
So, I guess the controller is faulty? Or the wiring?

The replacement controller comes complete with the motor wiring harness so it doesn't really matter which one is responsible for the problem as they will both need to be replaced.

Alan

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
Yup.
Snapped a photo of the S/N and sent to David. It's one of the first, and apparently has known problems.

Offline Eadz

• Confirmed
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
So with the Bac601, you can *control* the Magic Pie right? And read the power / rpm.

Anyone have any idea how this works? I'm assuming some sort of serial connection. It seems like 'live' programming of the vector, which would be amazing.