Author Topic: loose spoke?? High knocking noise  (Read 11418 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: loose spoke?? High knocking noise
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
Help... I am missing my spokes

Hi Gary,

I would like to know if you have some spokes 114mm that you don't need. I got my motorcycle spokes but they where to long for the bike and now I am missing 12 spokes :(

I saw the pic of your bike with the trailer (Nice) but I could imagine that I have the problem with the spokes because I have a cargo bike. The bike has maybe 50kg and I not thing so that the GM spoke are made to this torque.

I have them here...

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Spokes.html

50 kg is nothing. My rolling weight is on that bike is over 200 kg

Gary

Offline Quiro

• Confirmed
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
Thanks... they are the same that com with the MP?

I don't understand why I got so many spoke broken?? I drive every day 20 km and I don't abuse of my bike in the road... 

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »
Yes they are the same ones that come with all of our wheels. I do still have some 12 gauge ones laying around from when we used heavier spokes. But we had a lot more issues when we used those.

This is taken from my FAQ

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/FAQ/questions.php?questionid=122

All of our wheels use 14 gauge spokes. There was a time we used 12 gauge spokes and we had a lot of issues. Since we switched to 14 gauge spokes and improved our spoke pattern spoke issues are almost none existent.

The most common issue now is when people first assemble their kit and go for the first few rides. At this point the spokes should be checked to see if any come loose. If a spoke comes loose then others will follow and then even some broken spokes may appear.

Another issue is people tend to over-tighten their spokes and this can cause them to break as well.

If you are having spoke issues I recommend loosening them all and taking it too a bike shop to have it trued properly.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:31:13 AM by GM Canada »

Offline Quiro

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »
Thanks Gary...

I can get the GM Spoke here in Europe, but I was looking for something more strong. However I'll give another try to GM spoke. I

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Broken spokes
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »
I don't understand why I got so many spoke broken?? I drive every day 20 km and I don't abuse of my bike in the road...

If your spokes are all breaking on the elbow section like this:

It's because the spokes are failing due to metal fatigue caused by the constant flexing of the elbow as the spokes are not correctly supported at the flange end.

I suggest you read the following posts to find out why this happens, and how to prevent it from happening again:

Why spokes break.

The best way to prevent spokes from breaking.

Alan

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:38:04 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Quiro

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
Thanks Alan, Very good description of the problem an solution. I just waiting for my GM spokes and I will follow your advices  ;)

Offline Quiro

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
I just received my new spokes from GM but I found out at the are 140mm and the original are 115mm... Mmmm I can not understand how thas is possible. How ever I am trying to see if I could use the 140mm and they seems that fit ok when I cross them (see pic.)

does any one know about this way of set up?? is ok or not??

Thanks

(How I can insert a pic???)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re:Crossed spoke pattern
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
I presume you have the 26" rim and you mean to cross the spokes like this:

In which case 140mm is going to be much too long as the dotted lines in the picture indicate where the 130mm spokes were fitted on the original MKI Pies. The excessive angle between the spoke and the rim will also cause the spokes to be curved rather than straight.
It might be possible to file the holes in the rim at the same angle as the spoke to ease the bending force, but I still feel that those spokes will be too long.

These are the spoke sizes for the Magic Pies with GM's deep "V" 26" rims:

How to add pictures.

I hope this helps.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:20:21 PM by Bikemad »