Author Topic: 110mm hub spacing for a rear drive PIE  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Velodrome

• Confirmed
110mm hub spacing for a rear drive PIE
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
So How would I go about this?  Seems the MPIII is only set up for 135 rear hub spacing and that leaves out an awfull lot of cruisers and other single speed'ers who use 110mm rear spacing. Not everybody can have or wants front drive on their bike so Whats the options? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:04:29 PM by Velodrome »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 110mm hub spacing for a rear drive PIE
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »

There are two main options:

1) Spread the frame dropouts to match the width of the axle (steel frames only).

2) Modify the axle by using a file and/or angle grinder to extend the flat portions of the axle on the freewheel side to allow the tabbed torque washer to slide on further, this should hopefully enable the axle to fit inside the narrower dropouts.

Alan 

Offline Velodrome

• Confirmed
Re: 110mm hub spacing for a rear drive PIE
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
Thanks Bikemad. Spreading the frame for me is problimatic.  The particular bike I'm thinking of is my very old and hard used Worksman Cycle Truck Pic of mine ( white and getting a total rebuild) and what I hope to end up with in red. Mine will be a "woodie" Green powder coat. battery in the frame with a wood box "tank" to hide the battery. Real wood fenders; and rims hydro-diped in a nice wood grain. Heres the thing. This bike has had a hard industrial life and while it is steel its also a braised frame and I'm not sure how well it will take the idea of being spread at the chain and seat stays. So. The other option; If you'll please school me a little further; is to have the axel machiened to extend a flat portion further to the center of the axel length. would this allow usage of a normal 110mm style single speed?  I'm not concerned about a rear brake; 90mm Sturmy Archer is going on the front and re gen set to full on the rear should do the trick. Thanks in advance!