Author Topic: Magic Pie freewheel probem  (Read 5542 times)

jensenff

Magic Pie freewheel probem
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »
hi!
Just installed Magic Pie. Rear with shimano thread on freewheel. I had to add one spacer to get it right. In test run most seems ok. I noticed a litte sound from the freewheel. To check I turned the bike upside down and ran the pie slowly. Looking closely, the freewheel moves a little bit when motor rotate. To little to be explained by   cross threading I belive. Do I have a bent axel?  no movement in rim similar to freewheel.
Appreciate any help or ideas..
Could I relocate the pie to front mount instead?
Br vk24

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie freewheel probem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »
hi!
Just installed Magic Pie. Rear with shimano thread on freewheel. I had to add one spacer to get it right. In test run most seems ok. I noticed a litte sound from the freewheel. To check I turned the bike upside down and ran the pie slowly. Looking closely, the freewheel moves a little bit when motor rotate. To little to be explained by   cross threading I belive. Do I have a bent axel?  no movement in rim similar to freewheel.
Appreciate any help or ideas..
Could I relocate the pie to front mount instead?
Br vk24

Its hard to tell how bad this is from your post, video works better.  Nothing is aerospace tolerances in the bicycle industry.  Yes you get bent axles on every bike. I haven't found a way to avoid this on any bike in 20 odd years Ive been tinkering.

Cross thread free wheel, you got it on past a few turns and it went on easy?.  Then I would say youre right there.

Some times its the housing the freewheel connects to.  My HBS hubs to look at, with no previous knowledge of normal bike tinkering would worry me, but they are fine.

And yes a few big bumps made it a little worse.  30,000 kms later and they still good enough to ride.

Can you get a video for all to look at.

We can umm and ahhh and say its OK or OMG its going to explode and fall off. LOL

Seriously try to get a video up for us.  If its bad, the GM dealers and other respecting GM staff can judge and will certainly back you up here.

Sincerely

LeZ

Bring it on

jensenff

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
here is a video of the little movement geeky??8-: ??

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
here is a video of the little movement geeky??8-: ??

Thats fine IMO.  I was expecting some noise a little more worrying.  Like a clunk or a tick.  You ride this hub for 10,000kms and enjoy. both my hub ended up like this after a few rides.  I think.

Or maybe they were like that out of the box.  It never has bothered me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:49:32 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

jensenff

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
tnx. Feel 'problem' is solved. Not worried anymo
re. Just back from another test-drive.  ;D  when running purely on MP no bad sounds audible. When pedaling , bad sounds from chain. The bike is old.  did have wear on chain and freewheel.  swapping to brand new freewheel probably is too much. I will get a new chain tomorrow. We will see...setup now is 2x12 volt leadacid. Waiting for 36v liion

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:26:51 AM »
tnx. Feel 'problem' is solved. Not worried anymo
re. Just back from another test-drive.  ;D  when running purely on MP no bad sounds audible. When pedaling , bad sounds from chain. The bike is old.  did have wear on chain and freewheel.  swapping to brand new freewheel probably is too much. I will get a new chain tomorrow. We will see...setup now is 2x12 volt leadacid. Waiting for 36v liion

Yes.  Old chain new freewheel will not just sound weird but feel weird to pedal.  If you have anymore probs we are always here.

Cheers

Bring it on