Author Topic: MP possible bad bearing--was loud clicking noise  (Read 4573 times)

Offline mantares

MP possible bad bearing--was loud clicking noise
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
Further investigating the clicking noise, I discovered today that the noise does not exist if the wheel is unloaded, that is, off the ground--even when powered. This leads me to suspect a bad bearing. Sooo...the next question is how to obtain replacement bearings or how to obtain the bearing part number if it is a non-special bearing that could be obtained in the United States?

I have attached a couple of pictures of the solar-powered cart and the MP wheel.

Michael

TRK

Re: MP possible bad bearing--was loud clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »
Rumor has it that the bearings of the older motor are part number 6202RS.  Not sure if the same ones were used for the Magic Pie.  See http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=10.msg1172#msg1172 for details or search the forums for "6202".

Offline mantares

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
I checked my MP today and this is the result:

MP part number is MP-1-270-10050059.

The bearing is a 6302RS; 42mm diameter, 15mm hole, 13mm width. Available from McMaster-Carr in the US. I ordered a pair today, will report on the results. At least on the end I looked at, the bearing is secured by a circlip and is not a press fit so can be removed very simply. Whether this is true on the other end, I don't know yet since I haven't removed the other cover.

Michael

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »
At least on the end I looked at, the bearing is secured by a circlip and is not a press fit so can be removed very simply. Whether this is true on the other end, I don't know yet since I haven't removed the other cover.

Michael,

The bearing on the left side of the axle has the wires going through it and I don't know if it can be removed without unsoldering its wires from the controller and withdrawing the wiring from under the bearing first.  There is a circlip fitted to this side which is used to prevent the wire from rubbing against the inside of the hub.

I don't recall seeing any circlips holding the bearing on either side, any chance you could post some pictures to help refresh my memory?

Alan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:52:25 PM by Bikemad »

Offline mantares

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 02:18:16 AM »
On the wire side, it looks like the slot in the axle is deep enough for the bearing to slip over the wires; I'll post an answer when I get the bearings--they have been shipped already so possibly will have them before the weekend. Will also take pictures of both sides as I replace the bearings. Of course the ultimate test will be if the noise is gone  :)!

Michael