Author Topic: Magic Pie Regen  (Read 4975 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Magic Pie Regen
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »
HI there, I purchased the Magic Pie on Sunday. I thought my conhismotor 1000W motor was dead, but it was not. It was 2 wires that had melted at the controller, they shorted and that was my problem. The controller protected itself. Anyway it was after I purchased the Pie did I notice the problem when I was stripping down the old kit! I was going up a very steep hill, then on regen coming down it died!

That is why I like the Magic Pie, the fact that the controller is built in. The controller output wires would be much shorter also and might not melt. It's too hard trying to keep all the controller wires tidy and out of sight!
I want to order a battery and My old Vpower seemed to take regen ok, Well I mean it slowed me down, lol. But I don't know if I was doing damage to the battery, I do know I was only getting 15 amps out of the claimed 20 amps, but that is common of Vpower from what I have learned over the last few months!

Will the Golden motor batteries take regen ok? And does anyone know if ping batteries will take regen? I hear different people say different things, I would love the golden motor 48v battery only the fact it has 12 amps, And I don't have the money for 2 gm batteries! I need 20 amps. And my other question How much regen is too much? I had my magic controller set to 50% so does that mean 50% of the controllers peak 50 amps or nominal 30 amps?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that the regen stuff confuses me, I really don't care about charging the battery by regen, but I really need the braking power!

Thanks

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Magic Pie Regen
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
O.K after lots and lots of searching I found this http://www.pingbattery.com/usrguide/Wiring%20Guide%20V2.5.pdf
It seems that ping batteries will only take 5 amps of regen and it must be wired as in the above link!

So it seems I won't be usen regen to slow me down, so I will have to wait until I can afford another bike with good hydraulic disc brakes!  :(

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:24:25 PM »
Okay to anyone interested, I E-mailed ping about regen on his batteries and this was his reply, posted with his permission.

Li Ping
 to me

Hi Mark,

Actually, the diode is not a must. The diode is just avoiding the regen power go though the discharge wires. It directs the regen power to the charge wires only. Because there’s no over-charge protection on the discharge wires. So, if the pack is just fully charged and you ride to go down a hill for a long period of time without the diode, the cells could be overcharged by the regen system. However, if the pack has been partly discharged, it’s safe. Some regen system has a switch near the handle. You can easily turn off the regen system when the pack is right fully charged. After a while of riding, you can turn it on.

If you don’t use the diode, the regen current can be higher than 5a, but less than 20a.

Best regards,

Ping
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's good news, so I can use a good bit of regen. What I might do is install a switch on the handlebars (remove brake lever swithes) so I can enable or disable regen, so when I just set out after a recharge I can use the normal brakes then after a few miles just press the switch and have regen!  ;)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Yup you could do that, or maybe even put a small switch at your wiring harness (or even under your seat) in between the e-brake socket and controller plug. That way you can leave your brake lever connection as is and just switch on regen after a few Km's

:)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Power breaking switches
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »

Scorpion,

The brake lever switches are not there just to operate the regenerative braking, their primary purpose is to ensure that motor power is removed when either of the brakes are applied. These power breaking switches are required for safety reasons, and in many countries, they have to be fitted in order to comply with the law! 

Putting a switch in line with the existing switches would seem to be the obvious way to temporarily disable the regenerative braking.

Alan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Power breaking switches
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »

Scorpion,

The brake lever switches are not there just to operate the regenerative braking, their primary purpose is to ensure that motor power is removed when either of the brakes are applied. These power breaking switches are required for safety reasons, and in many countries, they have to be fitted in order to comply with the law! 

Putting a switch in line with the existing switches would seem to be the obvious way to temporarily disable the regenerative braking.

Alan

Hi Bikemad, Yeah I know, the only thing is my brakes are hydraulic so to use the ebike brake levers are not really practical?

And the law? lol well on my old 48v 1000w kit, the police don't care, they don't even know what an ebike is. And I'm well over European law of a pitiful 250 wats. But hey, I want to have fun!  ;D I have even passed police speed checks here in Ireland at 27mph and no problems. :o

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »

There have been a few posts a while back about using a magnet
and a magnetic reed relay so that when you pull the brake
lever the magnet moves away from and opens the
normally open held closed reed relay.

That gets you the safety cutout.