Author Topic: Frame Correction for off center hubs  (Read 2600 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Frame Correction for off center hubs
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »

Hello all ... I am building a new bike from an old one for the 700c M.P.
  Gonna open up the frame as it is a steel one and have a question about this ..

If you were doing this would you just move the one side of the frame where the motor hub is off center ?? Or should you widen both of the frame legs ? ?  I could easily just move the one side to make the wheel sit in the middle.. (I Think) or evenly open up both sides and use spacers to get the wheel in the center ..

I only need about 3/8 of an inch to get it to the center and have been thinking of binding the one leg down and moving the other one over to correct for the offset wheel but don't know if this might have some adverse problems from this ...

Thank you .. I'll post pics when it's done should turn out nice if it goes like I am planning .. Thanks Again Don J.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Frame Correction for off center hubs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
Don,

If I were you, I'd just spread the right hand side and add washers to take up the space on the left hand side, 3/8" is unlikely to move the axle forward by any discernible amount, so your wheel should still be pretty much in line with the centreline of the frame.

It looks like a long piece of 2"x4" timber and some gentle persuasion might be the easiest way to do it.

If you really wanted to alignment to be more exact, you would need to spread both sides by the same amount and use double the amount of washers, but I don't think the left hand side of the axle will have 3/4" of spare thread to allow for the extra spacer washers. ;)

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:12 AM »

Thanks Alan ,, That's what I'm gonna do ...Will try to keep you posted here on how it goes .. Don

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

Hello all ... Alan ..

It came out great . I should have posted it here but if you see the post "New Bike with possable Benifits" in this section you'll see how it was done ..

Thanks to all , Especally Alan for the help , Don J.