Author Topic: New Magic Pie sluggish??  (Read 5813 times)

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
New Magic Pie sluggish??
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:56 AM »
One thing that's bothering me, this hub seems to have a noticeable difference in power than the normal pie. With my old pie I was able to go up hills without an issue but the new one is sluggish.

Do you think I need to mess with the settings via the USB cable? How can I test the power properly?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:54:54 AM by vapid2323 »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New Magic Pie sluggish??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »
Maybe you need to play with the settings with your new USB cable.  :P 

This wil be cool to see what happens.

If there any errors in the controller you will prolly notice a performance hit on your distance.  Check the connections form battery to your motor, you know the ABC's.

Check your brakes and make sure there is no rubbing, pump the tire up.

Check the throttle voltages and so on.

Good luck.

Bring it on

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:32 AM »
Can you give us some more information please.
what voltage and what's the top speed of the two pies. maybe the new pie run best at 72v

Offline alswiseowl

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »
again..

what voltage and amps are you running,

also what version of the pie did you get
the highspeed one,the torque 1 or the euro governed one???

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
I am running 48v into a Pie 1.1, I don’t believe they have the different types with this version of the Pie as I can program it. Also I need to know the best way to get my amps, I went to the store and all they have are meters for AC amps not DC. I can tell you that when I spin it up under no load, the volts drop by 1.5~2 and then jump back up to something around 54v.

I will check the top speed this weekend when I get a moment.

I am also going to set the Pie back to its defaults, which means it will be programmed for:
  • Continuous: 30A
  • Peak: 50A
  • Motor Voltage: 24v (I currently had it on 48v)

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
again..

what voltage and amps are you running,

also what version of the pie did you get
the highspeed one,the torque 1 or the euro governed one???
how do you find out which one you've got? mine does about 22 mph and I would say is quite torque. but I could have either the high torque or the euro one. I run a 48v ping battery.

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
I just went out for a ride affter reconnecting my computer, the Pie is limited to 20 mph  :-[

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Turnigy Watt meter and power analyzer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »
How can I test the power properly?

I use a cheap and cheerful ($23.95) Turnigy Watt meter and power analyzer, which can be connected load->motor for power consumption readings or load->battery for regen measurements:

Click for more details.

The biggest problem with the Turnigy unit is that it loses all data when power is turned off (or if the LVC is triggered), unless you use an additional battery (9V PP3 etc.).

A better option would be the Cycle Analyst which has a lot more functions, but with a price tag of $140 for the standalone version it's a lot more expensive too, and I couldn't justify the extra cost for my particular use.

Alan

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:23:46 AM »
How can I test the power properly?

I use a cheap and cheerful ($23.95) Turnigy Watt meter and power analyzer, which can be connected load->motor for power consumption readings or load->battery for regen measurements:

Click for more details.

The biggest problem with the Turnigy unit is that it loses all data when power is turned off (or if the LVC is triggered), unless you use an additional battery (9V PP3 etc.).

A better option would be the Cycle Analyst which has a lot more functions, but with a price tag of $140 for the standalone version it's a lot more expensive too, and I couldn't justify the extra cost for my particular use.

Alan

Thank you!!! I will order one asap

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I am looking  for some sharp looking usefull toolz!

I once hooked up two of those cheap 10 amp yellow meters one as volt and the other as current.  Soldered up the tacks a bit and used better leads.  I have homemead leads.  Set the dial on 10 amps.

And she draws 18 amps through the yellow meters. The shunt bar gets a little warm but its fine for a quick test ride.

I think Ive peaks a yelow meter over 50 amps and melted the probe leads that came with it.  LOL.

Bring it on