Author Topic: hub cable  (Read 3973 times)

Offline zzw1983

hub cable
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:11:40 PM »
hi

i am having a hard time dealing with the damaged hub cable I have. mostly due to the fact that I can't get that side's cover off. I would like to upgrade the cable but don't know how to do that safely. Can anyone clue me in?  For the electricians, what sort of wires should I get?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: hub cable
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
Maybe you own the Magic Pie?  Same concept but differnet motor.

I hope this helps.

Doing at home with the limited tools was rather easy.

The first thing was to undo the hub housing bolts on the first side. You do not need to take the sprocket off or anything.
Using two bread and butter knives I edged one side off carefully with out any trouble what-so ever.  If this is a problem a little spray lube might help.

Edge the housing off a little at a time, rocks left to right ever so small, and turn it around and edge a bit more.

Beware of the formers

The formers are the layered steel parts the windings surround.

Its improbable but not impossible to catch the knife in them and splay the formers apart.  Use the back sides of the bread and butter knives once you get them in between the hub ring and side housing.

If you do splay a former you can usually press the back in or hold it out a little more than it rests bent "from the beginning of the bend" with a fine tool (Sewing needle) and press the top back in, release it from the fine tool and you should see it settle back into place.

Here I provide a latter pic of a splayed former.  Insert the needles and push it down until the former splays just a little more and tap it down.  Once spayed they are hard to flatten back into place, hence why you need to move it out a little in order to bend it back.

This was my favourite bit although you don't need to do this it makes it easier to play with and makes easier to get the other side off with out a press,  I didn't like using the hammer while the stator sat inside stuck to the magnets inside the hub ....

Remove the other sides housing bolts after you remove the first hub housing side...

I grabbed either sides of the hub and pushed the stator out with my shoes... Make sure it land on the pillow.

The other side proved a little more difficult so I employed a little help with a wooded chock to protect the axle, a hammer, and used my shoes to take the shock off of the bearings like this.  Bang bang with the hammer and doinge it came off with no damage to the bearings.  If you have to hit harder enough to kill a medium sized animal Id say gets it pressed off at the shops and I did all my work on a cushy lounge so the parts landed on pillows ;)...

Here we have the stator.  With all the problems Ive had I rather think the quality of both hub and stator is top notch, strong and built to last, its just those damed wires.  Hey be sure to leave enough of the ends of all wires with the colour insulator so you know which one goes where..

To save money and a trip to town, I decided to use and extention lead rated at 10 amps.  My controllers is rated at 30 amps and I think 3 X 10 amps should be fine.

The wire core I'm using are some thicker than the one supplied with the motor. and the insulation is decent so I think things will only improve.

There is no reason metal should cut the rubber, well no more than the sharp copper inside cuts the insulator when the wires are munged..  So before I thread the wire I will file and sand the axle.  When the bike fell the axle ends up with sharp bits of extruding metal.  With a file and small piece of sand medium paper rolled into a flute I work away the sharp edges.

I used my tongue to find any sharp edges. Here is the result after a good polish with steal wool and I found it best to round it from the centre towards the outside and leave the outside of the axle square a little to add more surface area where it is most needed...

TFeeding the wires was difficult thank god I rounded the wire hole out properly.  The sensor wire I see as an issue without insulation so I Twist them tuff alrighty and heat shinked insulator around them.  Twisting takes more room up than just shielding them but its stonger...

I pulled the power wires as far as they could come out from the centre hole and pushing and feeding the insulated sensor array through the centre to the outer axle hole. I used the three power wires to assist the sensor array and got the job done, I will use PVC to protect the wires when im finished.

Now I'm not one who usually needs to test my workmanship nor is my experience with materials immature but here goes with the 5 lb hammer test just for you..  I hit it quite hard 4 times and I was scared that I'd have to do all this again, it was worth the risk...

OUCH..
10 X stronger and resistant to bruising.
In another test I put all my weight onto the PVC wires and held my self off the ground.. Not 100% but none the less, "an improvment".  I noticed a lil brusing on only one wire..

Soldering the power wires was a lil harder than expected as there was a bit of tarnish to eat through if you got some flux tincture, paint it on before you solder.  I cut the old wires and left the bit on the copper winding ends as I didn't want to shorten the coil connections, Blue and green remained the same, brown replaces yellow... 

I think this connection is every bit as important as the battery connection so I did big solder joints and chased all of the air out of the joint, if you nip the old ends off you need to torch and scrape the enamel off the wire. Left plenty of clearance from the hub housing, you should sheild these connection however the new solder joints were somewhat larger.  These solder joints were not going to touch anything so I left them naked. 

I didnt want to fool around using heat shrink insulator as this place may get a little hot

:P

Bring it on

Offline zzw1983

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »
yeah I have theMagic Pie and the wires  don't come out of the axle.
thanks for the wire info though

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 05:33:36 AM »
yeah I have theMagic Pie and the wires  dont come out of the axle.
thanks for the wire info though

It was a cut and paste cheap DIY at home job method.  So it was no problem.  I think you could manage to get it off the same way though with the Pie.  The back sides of those knives  were very forgiving and never did touch the stator formers.  

A screw driver could bend or break the housing or place too much force upon a single point of the housing.

Those splays cores were from a burnt stator thats being wound. Nothing keeping them together.

Bring it on

Offline zzw1983

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
i managed to get both covers off without any major damage to those formers. there were a couple small little metal clamps holding the cable to the axle.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
Hows things going here.   ???

OK?

Bring it on