Author Topic: first install problem ????  (Read 8545 times)

Offline flyguy_helo

first install problem ????
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »
Hi All,

I just got my Magic Pie yesterday and got right into the installation(rear wheel Kit). There is an offset like many of you reported but there is cleareance between the wheel and the frame. I re-adjusted the brakes fairly easily. I installed the chain onto the 6 speed casetter that came with my order. When I tried to turn the pedals with my hand I could not. If I loosen the nut on the casette side, I can turn the pedals but with great difficulty, if I re-tighten the nut the wheel is completely locked, even if I try and use my foot.
I can feel the freewheeling action by turning the casette backwards.
I know its a motor but should we not be able to pedal without it if we choose to. If I tighten the wheel so it dosent fall of the bike (as recomended in the install) the pedals a locked.
I did not connect any wireing yet, wanted to clear this situation first before moving forward.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Larry

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: first install problem ????
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
Larry,

You have 4 washers, two each side of the axle. Your bike frame must be between those pairs and the washer that have a small tongue must set at the frame axle support.

Offline flyguy_helo

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:10:22 AM »
thanks yakamin,

I got it working now. I had a washer against the freewheel portion of the casette and it prevented it from working. I removed it and all is as it should (I think).
Thanks again,
Larry

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »
I am glad that I could help you!! :D

Please, post photos!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: The correct location of the axle washers
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
I had a washer against the freewheel portion of the casette and it prevented it from working. I removed it and all is as it should (I think).

Larry, I'm a bit concerned as to which washer you have removed.

The four special shaped axle washers supplied with the motor are very important and must be fitted to help the frame withstand the large amount of torque from the axle, and also to prevent damage to the frame.

In order to save any confusion, the following diagram shows the correct positions of these four washers:
(The frame drop-outs are shown in blue)

Alan
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:14:46 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
I did not realize that you removed the washer!!!

Bikemad it is right, the figure shows exactly ho the washers must be installed!

Offline flyguy_helo

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:48:28 PM »
its installed like on the picture you showed but the inner washer on the casette side was the culprit. It prevented the freewheel from doing its job. Once it was removed everything worked well and is very tight. when the washer was there the slightest torque on the nut would cause great friction in the pedals even locking the wheel completly.

Larry

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Freewheel problem
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
Larry, with the recommended 6 speed freewheel there should be enough clearance between the inner washer and the end or the freewheel, unless you needed to use these spacers when you fitted the freewheel unit:

The Magic Pie is supplied with a couple of spacer shims (narrow washers) tie wrapped to the axle:

These should only be used if there is not enough clearance between the freewheel and the hub without them.

If the freewheel binds against the hub, fitting a single shim will hopefully be enough to cure the problem.
The shim is easily fitted by simply placing it on the threaded boss on the hub before the freewheel is screwed on.

If one shim doesn't provide enough clearance, it might be wise to consider using a different freewheel instead of additional shims.
Fitting more shims will further reduce the amount of thread available for fixing the freewheel, making it more prone to stripping the soft aluminium threads on the hub under heavy pedal pressure

Here is a picture of a 7 speed freewheel fitted to my Pie, it does not touch the washer, but it is much too close to the frame:

If this inner washer is not fitted you can damage the frame simply by tightening the axle nuts, as you will be trying to force the axle through the drop-out (by using it as a blunt wedge), which will spread the drop-out allowing the axle to spin.

It could be even worse if you have aluminium drop-outs, as these are very brittle and can easily crack and break off completely! :o

You should refit the inner axle washer and if necessary find a different freewheel that fits better.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:14:11 PM by Bikemad »

Offline flyguy_helo

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
finally got around to try again and put my washers on each side of the frame and I got it do work. Now it is set up like on the foto and the wheel spins nicely and is very tight.

Thanks for the info.

Larry

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: first install problem sorted!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
Larry,
I'm so pleased you now have it fitted safe and secure.
I shall now be able to sleep at night without worrying any more!

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:16:59 PM by Bikemad »

Offline mike662

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:33:09 PM »
Bumping this thread. I'm having the same problem and can't get my wheel to spin when the nuts are done up tight. I assume that the washer that is closest to the freewheel is supposed to touch the metal tube that goes around the axle and inside the hole of the center of the freewheel. Is this metal tube supposed to be in one way and not the other? It seems that one end of it is thicker than the other. Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 12:50:12 AM »
Mike,

I've just had a quick look at the User guide for the HBS motor and it looks as if the spacer tube is fitted with the thicker end on the outside.

You might want to check out this thread and see if some of the information there helps.

If you're still unable to sort the problem, try and post some pictures so we can hopefully see what's wrong.

Alan

P.S. Mike's problem has now been identified. Pictures and more details can be found here.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:04:18 PM by Bikemad »