Author Topic: Smartpie stopped spinning the motor for no reason  (Read 3456 times)

Offline TheModfather360

• Confirmed
Smartpie stopped spinning the motor for no reason
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:03:28 AM »
I had the bike set up upside-down for a while. There was no problem spinning the motor.

Today I mount everything properly to the bike, plug everything in (first motor, then throttle, then battery). The controller makes an audible whine, but the throttle is completely unresponsive. I'm pretty disappointed as I've literally done nothing wrong, all I did was attach it to the bike and plug it in, and it seems to have literally fallen apart for no reason

Just my smartpie, external controller, throttle, and ping 48v10ah battery.

Battery seems OK - charges and BMS lights up. The battery indicator on the throttle reads full.

Motor - it's very hard to turn manually, is this normal? Like I remember before I ever plugged it in, it was hard, but nowhere near this hard. I'm talking I can't even spin it for 1/4 turn. Should I bother opening up the motor to check anything? - edit: that's interesting, I disconnected the controller (no battery) and the motor spins freely again??

Is my controller blown? How can I check? Thanks.

Please let me know what I can do. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:43:02 AM by TheModfather360 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smartpie stopped spinning the motor for no reason
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »
Unplug both brake levers and try again as it sounds as if one of the brake lever switches is activated, or its wiring is shorted internally.

If it then runs OK, plug them in one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

Make sure that nothing is preventing the brake levers from releasing fully, as this can produce very similar symptoms.

Alan

Offline TheModfather360

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply;

Brake levers were not connected, just the 4 items I mentioned in the OP.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
If you plug just the phase wires onto the controller and the motor is stiff and notchy to turn (with the battery and throttle disconnected) I would say that the controller has probably failed.

Which external controller are you using?

It is possible that the controller may have been overloaded and damaged if the Phase wires and Hall sensor wires were not connected in the correct order.

Has it run at all under its own power, and if so, was it quiet and smooth or harsh and noisy?

Alan

Offline TheModfather360

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:17:07 PM »
I just connected the phase wires and the motor won't turn. So you may be right.

I'm using the external controller that came with smartpie. BAC 028-X and MX25 1.0

What is the correct order to connect the phase and hall wires? Why does it make a difference if the battery is not connected yet?

It ran fine when I first connected it. The only thing I did was disconnect everything and reconnect it.

I've contacted Gary to possibly RMA the controller.

Edit: what is the best way to connect a ping battery? Now I'm worried about it blowing up the controller every time I plug it in.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:26:35 PM by TheModfather360 »