Author Topic: Magic Pie Vector Intermittently Stops Operating  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Wesleyb82

• Confirmed
Magic Pie Vector Intermittently Stops Operating
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »
My 20" front MP Vector motor has been in use for about 3 weeks on a trike. I programmed it to reduce the acceleration then decided to return the motor to default settings. 48v SLA battery pack, just saw the rain for the first time but was under a tarp. Only connections are the thumb throttle and 1 brake. The throttle cable comes down, wraps once around the fork then down the frame since this is a small trike and the wires are long but turning doesn't cause wire tension.

In use last night and the battery indicator is still lite but there is no throttle response during riding. Motor is not hot, battery indicator shows full charge. Check all wires, everything is connected. Power cycle, nothing still. Unplug and plug in throttle, nothing, then brake, nothing. Then disconnect brake and left it disconnected, nothing. Then suddenly the motor is responsive again. Then 2 minutes later throttle stops responding. Hold throttle down and lightly move around the connectors with no change.

I'm hoping someone can post their thoughts or suggestions regarding this issue.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie Vector Intermittently Stops Operating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
Check that the battery voltage setting is still on 48V, if default setting of the controller is 36V your 48V battery voltage will be too high to allow the controller to work.

Alan

Offline Wesleyb82

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
I will check the voltage thank you but the trike was running for 20 minutes before the issue arose and the voltage meter on the throttle read full charge.

Does anyone know if the MP3 thumb throttle can be used with the MP Vector?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »

The thumb throttle itself should be the same internally but the plugs and wiring may be different depending on how old the MPIII throttle is.

It might be safer to have a quick look inside to make sure the wires are connected the same, check out this post for more details.

Alan

Offline Wesleyb82

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
After some troubleshooting it appears I have found the cause of this problem. From the motor, the main wire splits into two wires- one that connects to the throttle and brake etc, and another that looks like its intended for lights, etc. It is a thin wire with 4 wires inside. I don't know what its for bc I have not been able to find a wiring diagram but I think it's for lights, etc. Anyway these wires were cut clean from the factory and it seems after some use the insulation was pulled back and these wires made contact with each other. Luckily simply separating these wires has fixed my issue.... thanks for replying Bikemad

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
I don't know what its for bc I have not been able to find a wiring diagram but I think it's for lights, etc. Anyway these wires were cut clean from the factory and it seems after some use the insulation was pulled back and these wires made contact with each other.

The four wires will be the same as the ones shown for the MPIII as they are for pedelec and reverse function:

If the pedelec red +5V wire shorts against the black ground wire it would effectively disable the throttle as it also shares the same 5V supply. If there was no 5V supply at the throttle hall sensor, then no throttle signal voltage would be produced when the throttle is operated, and therefore the motor would not run.

I don't understand why the wires are simply left incomplete like this and I would prefer to see them pre-fitted with a sealed connector socket and supplied with a matching plug on the end of a short length of cable which could then be wired as required by the customer if the additional functions (pedelec or reverse) are needed.

This also applies to the horn and light connection on the main control harness too, because on this type of product I think it's essential that all of the wiring should be plug'n'play compatible to allow quicker and easier installation.

If six months after fitting the motor kit you decide to purchase a GM LED front light with a built in horn, you should be able to simply bolt it into the correct position and then plug it directly into the harness so that it would be instantly ready to use.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:41:04 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Wesleyb82

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:23:28 AM »
I don't get it either... seems like two extremes with nice quality weather sealed connectors on one side, then bare wires that are shorted on another wire.... anyway I'm glad it's working I was so bummed my new motor wasnt working.

Thanks for the diagram... I didnt know if the MP3 could be used as a reference. Is the headlight connection 48v?

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Lighting supply voltage
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
The eight separate wires for the headlamp, horn, pedelec and reverse are the same as on the MPIII, but the wiring of the other connections will probably be slightly different, but I haven't had time to carefully study the connections on the new harness yet. ::)

The switched feed for the lighting (and also the horn) is taken directly from the battery positive wire, so the voltage supplying the lights (and horn) should be the same as your actual battery voltage.

The small diameter of the wires means they are only capable of providing power for low current LED light sets, so don't try running a pair of 18W LED headlamps from it.  :o

Alan