Author Topic: Problems with MP3 Brakes  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
Problems with MP3 Brakes
« on: August 29, 2014, 04:45:26 AM »
Whenever I throttle and later press the brakes, my MP3 motor vibrates with lots of vibration noise and after full brake, it is very difficult to pedal my bike, moving slow and later it's just hard to push the pedals down (I am not even braking). The only solution to solve the pedaling problem is to push down the throttle for a few and I am able to pedal again but later the problem would happen. Is there a problem with the MP3 brakes internally or could it be something else?

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
Re: Problems with MP III Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
also, is it possible to fix this with the programming software?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »

If the bike instantly becomes easier to pedal with the battery disconnected it will be the controller that is faulty and it will need to be replaced.

Is there and mechanical noise as well as the vibration, like a tyre or brake pad binding?

Alan

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
when I apply brakes after full throttle the motor would vibrate with noise, I will post a youtube video of it.

I've never disconnected the power to make the bike easy to pedal. I just press the throttle for 2 seconds and it becomes easier to pedal again.

I'll go ahead and purchase a controller and see if this would solve above issues...

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:43:03 AM »
update,

I found out what was causing the MP3 to cause so much resistance: the tire was slightly rubbing against the left of the rear bike frame and this was causing it...  After re-adjusting the entire motor/wheel/tire, moving it slightly down near towards the end of the dropouts, I was able to place the tire/wheel where it wont rub against the frame... Bike runs smooth now without any resistance.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
I found out what was causing the MP III to cause so much resistance: the tire was slightly rubbing against the left of the rear bike frame.

I was initially trying to determine whether it was a mechanical or an electrical problem, which is why I asked the following question:
Is there and mechanical noise as well as the vibration, like a tyre or brake pad binding?

As it was only rubbing after hard braking, and became easier after pressing the throttle, you must have somehow neglected to tighten the left hand axle nut properly which would have allowed the wheel to move slightly within the dropout on the left hand side when it was subjected to braking and acceleration forces.

If the axle nut had been tightened properly with the wheel incorrectly aligned and touching against the frame, the resistance caused by the rubbing tyre would have been more consistent as it would not have been greatly affected by braking or accelerating.

With these motors it is very important to make sure that both of the axle nuts are correctly tightened, or the tremendous torque being transmitted through the axle will cause the axle to spin within the dropouts and damage the wiring harness that is attached to centre of the motor.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to locate and rectify the problem, I just hope you managed to do it before it wore right through the side of the tyre. ;)

Alan

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
Thanks sorry for the misunderstanding, you've been a great help and it is much appreciated! Thank you :)