Author Topic: Black Magic motor, V Power battery, what do I do?  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Flutemama

• Confirmed
Black Magic motor, V Power battery, what do I do?
« on: July 10, 2015, 01:02:18 AM »
Noob, first motor and install.  We bought a v power 48v 15 ah with no instructions.  The battery only comes with an adapter that we have no idea how to hook it up.  Any ideas?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Black Magic motor, V Power battery, what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

You will need to know which pins to connect the Red and Black power cables to. There should be a sticker on the underside of the battery showing the pin connections on the battery connector socket.
If there is no sticker explaining the wiring connections you will need to use a voltmeter to find which pins to connect the Red and Black power cables to:

First set the range on the voltmeter to a DC voltage range that is higher than the battery's fully charged voltage (i.e. 0~200V DC).
Put the battery switch in the "ON" position and then place the meter probes on the two outermost pins on the battery socket and check for a voltage reading. If these are the right pins you should see the battery voltage displayed on the meter.
If they are the wrong pins you will need to try the two other combinations (between the centre pin and each of the outer pins in turn) until you find the correct pair of pins to use.

If the polarity of the meter probes is correct (the Red probe is on the battery Positive + pin and the Black probe is on the battery Negative - pin) the battery voltage reading will be displayed or if you are using an analogue meter the needle should flick up and indicate the voltage.

If the polarity of the meter probes is reversed, the battery voltage reading will still be displayed but will typically have a "-" sign in front of it, or if you are using an analogue meter the needle will try to flick back below zero.

Once you have established the two correct pins and their polarity, you can then connect your power leads from the controller into the supplied plug assembly making sure that they will connect with the correct polarity pins (Red lead to Battery + and Black Lead to Battery -) when the plug is inserted into the socket.
The two wires will need to be attached to the connections by screws, crimping or soldering (dependant upon the connector type).

It is essential that the polarity of the battery supply to the controller is correct, because if it is reversed, the controller could be damaged. :o

Alan

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:46:20 AM by Bikemad »