Author Topic: The pie has landed - quick review  (Read 12151 times)

Offline Balderdash

• Confirmed
The pie has landed - quick review
« on: November 17, 2009, 04:56:33 PM »

The pie turned up around 11am this morning!

Very well packed - good job GM. No sign of damage on the box or axles/spokes sticking out etc.  :)

The wheel is heavier than I expected - definitely got some meat in it! Looks really smart too!

Two small boxes contain the accessories. First thing I noticed was that the battery/power connector had the "+" label on the red wire and the "-" label on the black wire: do I trust the stickers *and* the wire colours to be as they should be ;D

Installation of the wheel was quite straightforward. Fitted the tube and tyre - tube valve doesn't stick out very far due to the profile of the wheel so long valves are useful. Fitted 6 speed freewheel. Wheel fitted in my MTB frame relatively easily - it was a tight fit so need a bit of persuasion to slot in. Chunky axle nuts do a good job of keeping it secure.

Couldn't resist giving it a quick test after the wheel was on so wired up 2 of the 3 12v/7Ah SLA batteries I have plus the thumb throttle. The good news is that the wheel turned - nice work! The bad news is that the throttle didn't control the speed!  :o After some troubleshooting using the other twist throttle and playing with the wires it seems the controller wiring cable supplied had some bad connections, or some broken internal wires. In the end I snipped off some of the controller cable as it's far too long anyway, and just used some mini-terminal block to connect the red/white/black of the throttle to the controller cable. This also made it much easier to get the wiring through a small hole into the battery box on the back of the bike!

I can see those small connectors causing problems and I would feel happier with soldered connections anyway. I did not get another bag of connectors supplied in my kit as per Hyena's review.

Once the wiring had been sorted I got the bike the right way up and ran the cables along the frame and tied it on with cable ties. Put 3x12v SLA batteries in the boot so I 'm running at 36v. This is my first electric bike conversion so I didn't want to invest too much money in batteries to begin with, but I can see that changing soon  :D

First impressions: Wow - this has got a lot more punch than I expected!  :o With a few spurts on the throttle it soon got me to a decent speed and I hadn't pedaled at all! (Ssshh...don't tell the pedalec police!) Very impressive as I'm not small! 100Kgs of me + bike is an old steel MTB + 7.5Kgs of SLA batteries.

I've only had about 5mins on the bike as it was getting dark unfortunately! My neighbour had a quick go and he was very impressed too!

More tests and performance figures tomorrow...I have a Turnigy watt meter to connect up.

Quick picture attached...

So all in all after a few hours I've managed to get my first electric bike conversion up and running and now I'm hooked. Great work GM!

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: The pie has landed - quick review
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
first of all nice!

what top speed do you get?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
Yes the + and - lables should be from my understanding correct.  One person was understandably mistaken and went by the colours and learned the hard way.

Bring it on

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
All pies should have landed as well. it's the Invasion of the Magic Pies. AHHH! It's the end of the ... BionX. OMG. Did you receive my personally-made warranty card?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:38:19 PM by Yao Yuan »

Offline Balderdash

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
Did you receive my personally-made warranty card?

I don't have one here... was it shipped in the same box as the pie, or mailed separately?

(No time for testing today unfortunately... hopefully more pie time and updates tomorrow)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »
All pies should have landed as well. it's the Invasion of the Magic Pies.

I haven't been invaded yet! Perhaps I should keep looking for a Pie in the sky as mine's probably still airborne. ::)

Alan

Offline Balderdash

• Confirmed
Re: quick review update - performance figures
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »

Didn't have much time to do testing today...but here's what I have from a quick ride just now:

3 x 7Ah SLA batteries in series showing just over 38V with no load. Couple of runs up and down the road with GPS strapped on-board...the road has a very slight incline.

Max top speed up the road 16mph
Max top speed in other direction 18mph (GPS shows max speed of 18.4mph)
Stats from the Turnigy watt meter:
Peak Amps 26.3A
Peak Watts 864W
0.489Ah used (distance 0.75 miles - no pedaling)

I'm using an old lumpy MTB tyre that must have a lot of drag on the road, plus I think my rear brake may also be rubbing slightly so take these figures with a pinch of salt!

It's more than fast enough for me!  :)

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:35:23 AM »
Sounds like fun!  At that rate, expect ~6 mile range - no pedaling - with your 36V@7Ah SLA pack.  Is that far enough? 
Smooth rolling wheels might get you 7 miles ;)

Offline Balderdash

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:44:05 AM »

I went for a quick 8 mile ride at the weekend...used the magic of the pie to help me up any inclines, but it's too tempting to punch the throttle when moving off!  ;D

I was only running at 24V - no thrills or spills with the top speed, but enough to help me when pedaling gets too tough.

1.6Ah used for the trip - so I reckon I could get about 30miles with careful use of the magic.

May the pie be with you...soon!