Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 - convert adapt BAC 601 display  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Bibiii79

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 3 - convert adapt BAC 601 display
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
Hi everyone, My project is to use a electric motor , in my case Magic Pie 3, with a custom battery pack 48V 22Ah, 13s (9px13s).
In the moment I face some issues:
1. I ordered a display what is matching for the sondors fat e-bike, what apparently is using the same 5 port pin male connector.... but after connected to the controller, it made a shortcut (i blow something) ... Still I can run the throttle .. the bike is working ....
2. So I ordered the display  named BAC 601 (what is fitting to MP4) unfortunately is not fitting 
I was checking before if the connector is having the same port, with 5 pins, but unfortunately both connectors are Female. Than not only this after a short research I found that the pin-out are different ... So I rewired and created a converted adapter ... 5 pin male to 5 pin male on both sides... ( cutted the wire from the old sosndors display ..)
The adapter is can connect now the "MP3 controller side display port" 5 pin female to 5 pin female " Motor Display MP4 side"
How I did the convertion:
- I took the pin-out for "MP4 controler display port picture" (from this forum) and I took the "MP3 pin-out display port" and wire the converted male (5 pin male  ) to (5 pin male ).
But: after connecting  with the display ... the display is not powering up .. I think I have an issue on the MP3 controler side ... I measured on the pin .. and I have no +5V comming out.... from MP3 controller......
So today I will open the controller and inspect  ....

Cheers
Adrian

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III - convert adapt BAC 601 display
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Hi Adrian,

Unfortunately the BAC-601 Smart Display unit was only for use with the MP4 and SP4:

The MPIII controller requires a different programming USB cable and different software to the MP4 as it uses a different type of communication protocol. I therefore think it is unlikely to be compatible with the BAC-601.  I think there were even compatibility problems using the BAC-601 with some MP5 controllers as well. :(

Alan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
I have just been studying the details for your wiring adapter and it appears that your connections are incorrect as you have not mirrored the pins on the mating connectors to account for the difference between the harness and plug views.
Hopefully this revised diagram will make sense:

You appear to have connected it with the battery polarity completely reversed as shown here:
   1 to 5 (B- on harness to B+ on Display unit)
   2 to 3 (Unused on harness to Rx on Display unit)
   3 to 1 (Tx on harness to Tx on Display unit)
   4 to 4 (Rx on harness to Unused on Display unit)
   5 to 2 (B+ on harness to B- on Display unit)

You also need to make 100% sure you don't physically reverse the adapter cable which must only be plugged in one way around or you could end up with even more crossed wires.

With the battery connection corrected, you may find the display will power up (as long as it hasn't been damaged by the reversed polarity) but I'm not sure it will be of much use if it can't communicate with the controller.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:56:20 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bibiii79

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
Thank you very mutch Alan, you right ... Do I have any chanse to get a display? Were can I order?
Thanks Alan for your support

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 11:40:53 PM »
I don't think GM produce a display unit that is compatible with the MPIII, but GM Canada sell different versions of the popular Cycle Analyst which can be used with most electric bikes:

Click for further details.

The Cycle Analyst also stores all data when the battery is disconnected, whereas the BAC-601 will only retain the total distance odometer reading.

Alan

Offline Bibiii79

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »
I are reading my mind, I was thinking about cycle analyst ..... but I don't know if is working with the pedal assistance ... or .. if can ever use pedal assistance in combination in this MP3.
Thanks a lot Alan!!!
I happy for your support!!!!