Author Topic: Parallel wiring two 48V20AHM batteries  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Tom E

• Confirmed
Parallel wiring two 48V20AHM batteries
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »
How would one parallel wire two 48V20AHM battery packs to a HPC300 controller (for supplying HPM5000B motor)?  And would this be a recommended configuration in terms of supplying enough power to the motor and not over-taxing the batteries?  Also, can you parallel wire the charging side as well or do you need to charge each side individually?  And finally, there is a BMS inside these battery packs, yes?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline RobbyRob

• Confirmed
Re: Parallel wiring two 48V20AHM batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
This how I did mine.  All you do to parallel is connect the positives together and the negatives togetherI am in the middle of placing fuses on the pos+ battery outs, as well as a key switch. Also personally I charge mine separately because of the BMS's. In other words I unplug them from one another and charge. They finish charging always within secs of each other. If you have the GM battery packs there is a BMS
Thank you kindly for your knowledge,
Robert

Offline Tom E

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
This how I did mine.  All you do to parallel is connect the positives together and the negatives togetherI am in the middle of placing fuses on the pos+ battery outs, as well as a key switch. Also personally I charge mine separately because of the BMS's. In other words I unplug them from one another and charge. They finish charging always within secs of each other. If you have the GM battery packs there is a BMS

Thanks for the response.  Did you buy materials and build that cable yourself (and if so where did you get the materials?) or did you buy cables from GM and do some cutting/soldering? 

So you have to disconnect the battery outputs before charging each battery individually?  And you have two chargers to do that ( which ones by the way...?).

Tom
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:39:21 PM by Tom E »

Offline RobbyRob

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
Yes here in Canada we have a place called Princess Auto. I went and bought a spool of each red and black 10g wire. Went to the local Electronic store and bought the anderson plugs (10 gauge) and fuses (60amp automotive).

So yes I cut the wires to length soldered them, shrink wrapped them, and taped them. (I am a bit overkill, just the way I am). When soldering I used a torch to heat up the connectors first then put solder in them and pushed the wire in. When splicing into the battery lead, be careful to solder clean, flick off excess solder cut one at a time shrink wrap and electrical tape. Just use common sense.

As for the charging, its just the way I do it, because I do not want to confuse the bms in each battery pack. Yes when I bought my 2 48v 20Ah Lipo4's they each came with a charger, just look at the link here:

http://www.garysalo.com/cart/products.php?product=48-Volt-3-Amp-LiFePO4-Charger

So... I unplug them from one another so they are isolated and charge them separately. When run in parallel the batteries deplete evenly so when you charge them they usually finish charging within secs of one another.

Hope that helps, I mean I am fairly new to the forum, glad I could help  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:21:03 PM by RobbyRob »
Thank you kindly for your knowledge,
Robert

Offline Tom E

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
Hope that helps, I mean I am fairly new to the forum, glad I could help  :)

It does help! I didn't realize a charger was included and I see now that it says that at the bottom of the page.
Thanks,
Tom