Author Topic: pedelec signal  (Read 4509 times)

Offline NR

• Confirmed
pedelec signal
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »
After building my front wheel drive fatbike, I wonder if its possible to generate the pedelec signal wireless (ie via ir-diodes) so I do not need to wire it.
Is the signal just pulses 0-5V or is some kind of ramping needed as its normally a hal-element generating the pulses?
Any help would be appreciated  :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: pedelec signal
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »
The pedelec sensor uses a Hall effect sensor to detect the rotating magnets but it also seems to read which way the magnets are moving as the pedelec does not work when you pedal backwards.

Perhaps its output is biased to mid voltage (~2.5V) with no magnetic flux and is pulled high before being pulled low (or vice versa) as the magnets pass in the correct direction:

And this pattern would then be reversed if the pedals were rotated in the opposite direction:

I once tried to measure the voltage on the pedelec signal wire but as soon as I touched my meter probes to the connector terminals the pedelec simply refused to work!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:21:35 PM by Bikemad »

Offline NR

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:40:15 PM »
Thank you for the information, it seems like transforming it to wireless wont be an easy task, unless the ir-diodes will transfer pulses exactly like a wire. I will try testing it with an old hal-sensor and a set of diodes.  8)

Is pedelec the same on old mp3 and new sp5 vector?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:42:06 PM by NR »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
Is pedelec the same on old MP III and new sp5 vector?

I presume they will be the same (or at the very least, work on the same principal) as I'm currently using my original pedelec sensor that came with my original Magic Pie (MkI) on a later MP4.
(MP4 motor is the same as the MP5 but without Bluetooth connectivity.)

Alan

Offline NR

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »
Thanx again, I'll let you know how it ends up.  ;)