Author Topic: SmartPie 5 PAS problem  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Typhoon

• Confirmed
SmartPie 5 PAS problem
« on: February 23, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »
Hi,

I just built my first eBike. The Smart Pie works really well with the thumb throttle. But PAS don't work at all.

When I connect PAS the thumb throttle stop working and the motor doesn't support while driving.

Did I mount something wrong? Look at the attachments.

I need some advice. Thank you.

Best regards,

Dominik

//edit Is it possible to mix PAS and thumb throttle together?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: SmartPie 5 PAS problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »
Hi Dominik,

On my MP4, the pedelec does not prevent the throttle from working, but perhaps the more recent SP5 controller is slightly different to comply with legislation (as some countries do not allow throttles to be used) in which case the pedelec may be supposed to only work on its own.

Have you tried adjusting the PAS Ratio using the Bluetooth App to see if it makes any difference?

My MP4 also has the BAC-601 LCD Display unit connected which allows the amount of assistance to be selected while riding, but my throttle still works normally regardless of the selected pedelec mode setting.

I would suggest checking the 5V supply between the Red and Black wires on the pedelec sensor while it is plugged in.
If it does not read 4.5~5V, try unplugging the connector and measuring the voltage on the pedelec connector on the motor harness.
If you get a good reading with it disconnected, but a very low reading with it connected, it might be a faulty pedelec sensor or even a short in the pedelec sensor wiring.

If you still have  4.5~5V with the sensor connected, I would expect the throttle to still operate (unless the disabling of the throttle is an intended feature of your particular controller).

Looking at your photos, the pedelec sensor seems to be fitted correctly and the arrow on the magnet ring appears to be pointing in the correct direction.
If possible, try moving the magnet ring closer to the sensor to see if it helps, but if this is not possible (and you are still unable to get the pedelec to work) you will have to contact your supplier and see what they can suggest.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:18:02 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Typhoon

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »
Thank you Alan.

I'll check the 5V tomorrow. Maybe there is a short circuit. Today we did some testings. As soon as we plug in the PAS the bluetooth connection is dead and SP stop working.

Offline Typhoon

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:42:16 AM »
Hmm I've got 4.23V if It's not plugged in and 4.18V when It's plugged in... Thats too low I think. :(

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
Try unplugging the thumb throttle and both brake switch wires and then measure the voltage again to see if it is any higher. The pedelec sensor will obviously draw a small amount of additional current from the +5V supply circuit, which could easily cause the tiny drop in voltage (25mV) through each of the thin Black and Red wires.

If the voltage rises from 4.18V to 4.23V with the throttle and brake switch wires disconnected it might be worth trying the pedelec again to see if the slight voltage increase has made any difference, although I'm not really convinced it is likely to behave any differently.

Alan

P.S. the Bluetooth dongle itself will also be drawing current from the +5V supply, so it would be interesting to unplug it and see if it alters the voltage at the pedelec connector.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:34:08 AM by Bikemad »