Author Topic: diagnosing broken wires  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Pete e

diagnosing broken wires
« on: August 10, 2007, 07:14:49 AM »
I got my e-bike two years ago. When I put the motor in the forks I was a little sheepish about tightening the axle bolts. Loose bolts plus an imperfect filing job on the forks means that one day the axle came loose and started spinning. In about one second, it had twisted the wiring into a mess. That was the last time we used the bike.

I would like to use a multi-meter to check whether the motor still works. What should I look for? Is there a wiring diagram?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: diagnosing broken wires
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:45:22 AM »
You need to pull the hub covers and also check the wiring and sensors inside the hub.

Offline pdonahue

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: diagnosing broken wires
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
I got my e-bike two years ago. When I put the motor in the forks I was a little sheepish about tightening the axle bolts. Loose bolts plus an imperfect filing job on the forks means that one day the axle came loose and started spinning. In about one second, it had twisted the wiring into a mess. That was the last time we used the bike.

I would like to use a multi-meter to check whether the motor still works. What should I look for? Is there a wiring diagram?

Since the hall effect sensor wires are much smaller than the motor wires, it probably makes sense to check them first.  Apply 5V across the black (GND) and red (+5) wires and then measure the voltage from the black to any of the 3 hall sensor wires (the other 3 small wires).  As you rotate the wheel slowly, you should see each of the small wires alternate between 0V and 5V.  If the small hall wires are still intact then the power leads are likely OK as well. 

That being said, if you actually got the axle spinning then chances are the wires were instantly twisted off.  Good luck.