Author Topic: breaks  (Read 8166 times)

Offline sock2828

breaks
« on: August 08, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »
the motor cutoff breaks in my Ebike conversion kit aren't working right the buttons aren't getting pushed down so the motor wont engage is there any way to fix this

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
Re: breaks
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:06:28 PM »
Take the "brake" cut-off out. Just unplug it from the controller and see if the motor works. If it still doesn't work, you may have other issues.

Offline sock2828

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
sorry forgot to mention that I tried that and the motor works

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »
If you look closely at the contact point the break lever makes with the covered switch you can see whether the switch is misaligned. Try aligning the switch to fix the problem.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:46:59 PM »
I had the same trouble with mine. If you remove the brake lever to expose the switch face, you will be able to work the switch out by gently prying on the sides with a small straight bit screwdriver, while pushing the cable firmly into the brake lever assembly.
The switch is hot glued into place and should pop loose with a little persuasion. The cable is not molded into place, it simply passes through a small strain relief into the switch body.

Upon removal, you will see the well into which the switch is placed. If the switch is pushed too far down into the well, as was the case with mine, the brake lever will not make contact to open the circuit for proper operation. To fix the problem, clean out any adhesive residue in the well and glue the switch back in at a higher position. To determine the correct height, I made some cardboard shims to gradually stack the switch up, testing it at each new shimmed position.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:01:11 PM by ahend »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 09:52:25 PM »
Excellent! Thanks very much for your clear and detailed reply (not to mention your corrected spelling which I overlooked).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:57:12 PM by myelectricbike »