Author Topic: 10 kw BLDC Motor  (Read 2957 times)

Offline MarkLyons

• Confirmed
10 kw BLDC Motor
« on: May 06, 2022, 11:55:27 PM »
Hello
I’ve got 10 kW motor in a dirt bike. It’s worked well for around 200 klms. But lately while riding it will make a pulse noise then cut out completely. This happens whether battery is full or half way down. I also cannot connect laptop to controller anymore. This worked fine initially but I just get no device connected warning. The controller red led is flashing 5 times.
It’s the vec500

Offline MarkLyons

• Confirmed
10 kw BLDC Motor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 03:49:59 AM »
Hello
I’ve got 10 kW 72 volt water cooled motor in a dirt bike. It’s worked well for around 200 klms. But lately while riding it will make a pulse noise then cut out completely. This happens whether battery is full or half way down. If let throttle off it resets but does worse. This happens after 2-3 minutes riding.
Also when I connect controller to laptop it displays info from bike once connected, but when I upload new settings it reverts to default settings. I did set it to default to see if that effected the cutting out, it didn’t. Now I can’t change any settings. It says it’s uploaded but immediately reverted to previous settings.
It’s the vec500.
Any ideas
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:47:27 PM by MarkLyons »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 10 kw BLDC Motor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 04:24:00 PM »
Hi Mark,

If the motor cutting out is accompanied by the 5 flash error code, it may be due to a faulty Hall Sensor within the motor.
Have you tried plugging in the other set of Hall Sensor set to see if it still cuts out and gives the same error code?

If the motor still cuts out with the other set of Hall Sensors plugged in, then it is more likely to be a problem with the +5V output from the controller that supplies the power to the Hall Sensors.
If the supply voltage going to the Hall Sensors is too low, the output signal voltages coming from them will be incorrect, hence the 5 flash error code indicated by the controller.

I suggest that you try to measure the voltage between the Black Hall Sensor Ground wire and the Red +5v supply wire going to the Hall Sensors, to make sure that the voltage is higher than 3.5V.

If the voltage reading is less than 3.2V, this could be due to a weak or faulty +5V regulator inside the controller, or perhaps something on the +5V supply circuit is overloading the +5V supply causing it to drop too low.

With regards to the programming of the controller, make sure that the controller has been disconnected from the battery for several minutes before connecting the USB programming cable to ensure the controller is completely discharged to allow it to connect to the programming software.

Also make sure you are clicking on the correct icon to save any newly altered parameters to the controller (Download) as the functions of the icons are not what you might expect:

The Upload icon only reads the parameter from the controller, overwriting any changes that you may have manually entered into the programming software with the values already stored in the controller.   ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:35:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MarkLyons

• Confirmed
Re: 10 kw BLDC Motor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 07:39:54 AM »
Hi Mark,

If the motor cutting out is accompanied by the 5 flash error code, it may be due to a faulty Hall Sensor within the motor.
Have you tried plugging in the other set of Hall Sensor set to see if it still cuts out and gives the same error code?

If the motor still cuts out with the other set of Hall Sensors plugged in, then it is more likely to be a problem with the +5V output from the controller that supplies the power to the Hall Sensors.
If the supply voltage going to the Hall Sensors is too low, the output signal voltages coming from them will be incorrect, hence the 5 flash error code indicated by the controller.

I suggest that you try to measure the voltage between the Black Hall Sensor Ground wire and the Red +5v supply wire going to the Hall Sensors, to make sure that the voltage is higher than 3.5V.

If the voltage reading is less than 3.2V, this could be due to a weak or faulty +5V regulator inside the controller, or perhaps something on the +5V supply circuit is overloading the +5V supply causing it to drop too low.

With regards to the programming of the controller, make sure that the controller has been disconnected from the battery for several minutes before connecting the USB programming cable to ensure the controller is completely discharged to allow it to connect to the programming software.

Also make sure you are clicking on the correct icon to save any newly altered parameters to the controller (Download) as the functions of the icons are not what you might expect:

The Upload icon only reads the parameter from the controller, overwriting any changes that you may have manually entered into the programming software with the values already stored in the controller.   ;)

Alan

Thanks
That was the problem
bike good again