Author Topic: 48 Volt 5Kw BLDC motor VEC 300 connections problem  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Dave_MQ

• Confirmed
48 Volt 5Kw BLDC motor VEC 300 connections problem
« on: April 17, 2022, 06:17:30 AM »
Hi, I recently bought a 48 Volt 5Kw air cooled BLDC motor with VEC 300 controller, I still haven't been able to make the BLDC motor to work.

I connect the U, V, W, and hall sensor cable to the controller, corresponding with the guide that comes with the BLDC motor, for the power, I use my leftover lifepo4 batteries, which after testing it, the total would be around 50 Volt and 200 Ampere, I try to turn it on and the motor still doesn't work.

After I contact goldenmotor personally, they said I need to connect the throttle too, so I use a 5k ohm potentiometer as a throttle for the time being, I turn it on and still, the motor doesn't work.

Edit: After measuring the throttle pin, I realize the 5 Volt doesn't even come out at the 5v throttle pin when the controller is connected to power, so my problem from the start is probably on activating the controller itself.

ps: I bought the programming cable too, but I haven't change any parameters so far

Any suggestions that I should do or correct about my connections? Are there any parameters I need to change, so I can get it to work?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:58:57 AM by Dave_MQ »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 48 Volt 5Kw BLDC motor VEC 300 connections problem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 11:29:51 AM »
Hi Dave andto the forum.

If you don't have any voltage on the 5V supply then your motor is not going to work.
Does your controller show any error codes? (count the LED flashes/beeps.)

Check that your controller is set to the correct Nominal battery voltage (48V).

Make sure you have battery voltage being switched via the e-lock connector to enable the controller.

If the controller is enabled and you still don't have any voltage on the +5V supply to the throttle it could be a poor connection, a short somewhere on the +5V supply, or a faulty controller.

Try unplugging the Hall sensor connector and see if the expected voltage on the +5V supply appears (at least 3.5V). If it does now show the expected voltage, it may be a short circuit somewhere within the motor wiring or a failed Hall Sensor.

If you have the correct +5V supply with everything connected and powered up, you will need to check the voltage on the throttle signal wire, as the controller will not work if this voltage is below 0.4~0.7V or above 3.5~4.0V.

When using a potentiometer as a throttle, resistors can be added to the +5V and Ground wires to ensure the throttle signal voltage remains within the expected range:

As you are using a 5K potentiometer, the resistances shown above will need to be reduced to ensure the maximum and minimum output remains within the usable range of 0.7~3.5V.
With the default throttle settings, the motor should start to spin when the signal voltage reaches ~1.2V and should achieve maximum rpm at ~3.2V or above.

Alan

Offline Dave_MQ

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 12:22:43 PM »
Hi Alan, thankyou so much for your reply

Turns out, I didn't connect the E-lock cable because the guide that it comes with says it's "optional" on the E-lock connection, thanks to your reply, now I know that the E-lock is used to enable the controller.

But when I connect the E-lock, it blinks one time (with sound) which when I look at the meaning from the controller datasheet, it says that the "Battery voltage is higher than default value".

So the problem now, is 50 Volt too high for the controller input? Even though when I look at the default parameter that the controller comes with, from the programming software, the
"High voltage protection exit value (V)" is 60V, and the
"High voltage protection value (V)" is 70V

Do I need to change those, or other parameters so the controller can withstand the 50V input?

And yes, the controller is set to the correct "Nominal battery voltage (V)" (48V)

Offline Dave_MQ

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 05:30:36 PM »
Hi, update,

Apparently, I forgot that I play with the parameters before, and change the High voltage protection exit value to 50 Volt, which makes the controller detect that the "Battery voltage is higher than default value" all the time

Anyways, I set it back to the first parameters when I got the BLDC motor and now it works just fine, thanks for the suggestion. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »
It's good to know that you've got it working properly now.  :)

I think the single blink/beep is normal when the controller is first activated, but a repetitive series of single blinks/beeps would indicate that the Over-voltage protection had been triggered.  ;)

If an e-lock switch is not fitted, the e-lock wire would need be permanently connected to Battery + to allow the controller to operate correctly.

Alan

Offline Dave_MQ

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »
Ahh, got it, thankyou for your assistance, Alan ;D