Author Topic: Can VEC500 controllers be set to constant RPM?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Psycobob

• Confirmed
Can VEC500 controllers be set to constant RPM?
« on: January 05, 2022, 03:49:31 AM »
First post, hopefully I did  it right.

Trying to find a motor and controller that can maintain a set RPM under variable load, for driving an implement like a mower deck or snowblower.

Is there an easy setting, or can I use a control panel potentiometer to act as a throttle and let the motor run against a preset max RPM?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can VEC500 controllers be set to constant RPM?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 09:59:53 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

I don't know if there is an easy way of changing the VEC500 controller from a "current sensed/torque controlled" throttle to a "regulated rpm" throttle (or vice versa).

From various videos I've watched over the years, these controllers appear have utilised both types of throttle control, as some controllers allow the rpm to be controlled proportionally in relation to the throttle position, while others simply spin to max rpm when the throttle is partially applied if there is insufficient load (torque) being applied to the motor.

Unfortunately, I don't know how you can select which type of controller you receive or whether a controller can be flashed with different firmware to change the throttle control from current/torque sensing to rpm control.

Try sending an email to Golden Motor in China (sales@goldenmotor.com) and see if they can provide you with the answer.

If you do manage to find the answer, please post it here as it should help others in a similar position.

Is there an easy setting, or can I use a control panel potentiometer to act as a throttle and let the motor run against a preset max RPM?

There is a Rated motor speed (rpm) setting in the software which (presumably) should prevent the motor from exceeding the set rpm, but I don't know how well this actually works with a current/torque sensed controller.  :-\

A 10k potentiometer can definitely be used as a throttle control but it would require the additional 2k and 1.5k resistors shown above to prevent a throttle voltage error code from occurring at minimum and maximum throttle positions.

Alan